Menu
alexhstone
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss and occassional long latency with M50 Broadband

Hi,

I have been experiancing frequent occurances of packet loss and high latency every day since mid-December 2021. The sympoms I see include my work VPN dropping and reconnecting multiple times a day, MS Teams video/voice calls stalling and dropping. As I mainly work from home (in IT) this is a great annonyonce.

I have the M50 Fibre broadband package with a Hub 3.0 and connect to the hub via a Gigabit switch and Cat6e cabling. I have checked the quality of the connection via www.thinkbroadband.com and the results confirm what I am seeing (frequent high latency and packet loss).

Please could you advise on what I can do to remedy the issue and/or who I would be best to contact?

Much appreciated,

Alex

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8ec792882a2425903fbd9487e08ada272a44b181-12-01-2022

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Packet loss and occassional long latency with M50 Broadband

That sort of trace is usually a fault at the cabinet, typically with the amplifier.  Phone it in, you'll have to endure the shocking poor telephony and probably the poor offshore CS agents.  Maybe they'll be able to see the problem and get it assigned for a fix, if so all well and good.  If they mess you around ("I'll send a signal to your hub/it's the wifi settings" etc), then phone again later and lie as needed to get a technician sent out.  That technician probably may or may not be be the right person to sort the cabinet problem, but they should be able to raise it for a fix if they can't.

alexhstone
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate your detailed response! I'll navigate the labyrinth that in Virgin Media's technical support and try and get a human engineer to come out and sort it.

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @alexhstone

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you managed to speak to our team around this now?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
alexhstone
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've spoken with someone from tech support on 13th January who advised that works were being carried out in my area which should fix the issues I'm seeing.

I continued to see the same issues on 14th January so phoned back to tech support, I was told it could take upto 48 hours for the works to be effective.

If I'm still seeing the same issues on Monday 17th January I shall phone back again. This issue is very disruptive to my work as video and voice calls frequently break up. TBH if not resolved soon I might be forced to move broadband provider 😞

f8e55ce304d5fc7d9c1df2e7aa503b3b629da588-15-01-2022.png

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @alexhstone

Thank you for coming back to us. 

I have managed to locate your account & I can see that you are having some issues with your power levels that will need to be put right by one of our engineers. 

I will pop you over a PM so that I can confirm your address. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me via PM. 

I have booked the engineer appointment for you, for the time, date & to make any further amendments, please visit you My Virgin Media Account

Kind regards,

Zak_M

alexhstone
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, thank you, that's the engineer booked in for Wednesday. Looking forward to fulling functioning Internet again 😁😅

0 Kudos
alexhstone
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak,

The engineer came by this morning, he removed an unnecessary splitter and replaced the cable leading to the hub. The improvement in performance is great! As you can see on the right hand of the graph, no packet loss and significantly lower latency. 

Thanks again,

Alex

Screenshot_20220119-110901_Chrome.jpg

0 Kudos