cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP ME. WHAT IS HAPPENING ON VM

Viper-t
Fibre optic

Hello can someone help me please, just a couple of weeks ago I was leaving as a 20+yr customer who have got vm customers with family friends, because of the constant end of contract problems I was getting, don't want to repost the Ins an outs but I posted on here and a very helpful person helped me instantly and should have a job at vm as his customer skills far exceeds most vm encounters I receive, after flagging for an agent who originally rang and fixed my concerns and helped me stay with vm with a higher ups help, and I started a new very good contract which was gigabit instead of my 500 package at competitive rates, i received my superhub 4 and was told it would be gigabit right away with a quick start package I thought it needed to be configured but anyway was excited to see my new speeds as I have modern wires and hardware. 

The speeds were very low hard-wired with a cat 6a cable to my gigabit nvidia shield which I tested an my gigabit router netgear xr500. I contacted an agent who I won't mention though the complaint which was still open from end of contract stuff, he told vm will only except laptop speedtests even though I told him I had gigabit devices, so I had to fork out for a gigabit Ethernet adapter as my laptop is older and 100mb capped, did the test and it was just the exact same as my router speedtest an the nvidia 3/400mbs wired, my wifi phone was getting just over 500 which is insane, I told him after reading the forums which I cannot believe has so many in similar issues, that docsis 3.1 might not be activated at the cabinet as the speeds will not break 450 wired, my 500 package was always over 500 so setup is fine, my dbmv is between 1-4 on all 31 blocks if that helps anyone, so agent tells me put back in router mode so he can do more tests which I did he said it's all good his end smiley face over an over which is very patronizing and just makes me want to leave as its not a joke to me at all, I asked for an engineer as there's obviously a problem which he said I need to pay £25 for... like what is happening to vm right now? is it right I had to buy a Ethernet adapter to do a speed test and now pay for an engineer, im getting lower speeds than the minimum and he left it as what do I want him to do I have the transcript... Is this a joke at this point im sure the higher ups won't be happy to hear all the threads I've just seen, with all the other fast symmetrical isp's out there now it's just not good for buisness or more important reputation I swear some think it's funny, I'm trying my best to be loyal but it's getting very very hard in these challenging times hope someone can help many thanks apologize for the long thread

Kind Regards

12 REPLIES 12

carl_pearce
Community elder

In router mode what does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Hi Carl Pearce iys totally irrelevant what that site says head office will tell you your getting full speed sent but my latest speed test says 199 down but amazingly 52.5 up upload is always correct because it's so low anyway on my wifi 368mb down my virgin cat 6 cables are getting m3 slower speeds than my wife. That is the lowest wired speed since having the upgrade/downgrade they are throttling connections 100000000% how can a brand new gigabit package give way slower speeds on there well advertised shinny new package than my old 500 package which was always above 500 I'm getting really pssd off with this every day I might just leave there breaking contract AGAIN well below minimum GUARENTEED speeds and they say I got to pay 25 pound for an engineer I'm reporting to ofcom independent adjudicator and anyone else who will listen as in war and covid times which I've had a family member die due to I'm sick of this sh*t

@Viper-t wrote:

Hi Carl Pearce iys totally irrelevant what that site says head office will tell you your getting full speed sent but my latest speed test says 199 down but amazingly 52.5 up upload is always correct because it's so low anyway on my wifi 368mb down my virgin cat 6 cables are getting m3 slower speeds than my wife. That is the lowest wired speed since having the upgrade/downgrade they are throttling connections 100000000% how can a brand new gigabit package give way slower speeds on there well advertised shinny new package than my old 500 package which was always above 500 I'm getting really pssd off with this every day I might just leave there breaking contract AGAIN well below minimum GUARENTEED speeds and they say I got to pay 25 pound for an engineer I'm reporting to ofcom independent adjudicator and anyone else who will listen as in war and covid times which I've had a family member die due to I'm sick of this sh*t

Incorrect.

SamKnows is a third party, so no bias.

VM do not throttle.

You could be in an oversubscribed area, however a BQM would show this.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you humour us and do the speed test this way..... which should reveal exactly what is being delivered into your Hub from VM

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and known working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected to the Hub

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi is anyone from vm going to help about my problem? As no one has even bothered to answer from vm just helpful people. I except you might be sending my correct speeds but I'm not receiving them I have 3 gigabit capable devices, I just bought brand new cables for my devices, bought a usb to gigabit adapter from Amazon basics to test on my older laptop, my nvidia shield is only getting 200mbs wired but my wifi is 500mbs can someone more knowledgeable than me tell me why I'm getting less than 25% of my gigabit connection broken hub? Faulty wiring this is well below the minimum speeds contracted surely I can't just be ignored and a professional need to come and see what is going on? I've eliminated my variables bought new cables adapter should I even be doing this

Regards

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They will respond when they get here - usually within a week - as its not a hotline into VM - its a customer discussion forum

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi this is what annoys me I was told the other day I have to pay £25 for an engineer to come look at my setup, but another guy gets an engineer free with all new wire/connections with the exact same problem as me.. sounds nice. Look there is obviously a problem for all us people with the same problem perfect speeds as sold package upto m500. Then a gig upgrade which unfortunately is a downgrade for me as we are getting lower speeds than before with the exact same setup, so why should I pay 25 pound for an engineer when you send us a quick start upgrade which doesn't work as I was told needs checking by an engineer for settings changes obviously we cannot do this as it isn't my job to setup networking as I am just a paying customer.. Can I get someone to configure the hub 4 for docsis 3.1 to work please as it's what I'm paying for, who knows the hub might be faulty you can't just say yes we are sending the gig speeds and that's it, surely there's customer after care to setup/configure the package you just sold me and guaranteed minimum speeds in contract of 565mbps I'm getting 400 to 500 wifi but 150 to 350 with brand new cat 7 cables which were a waste of money as was the usb 3.0 to gigabit adapter for my older laptop says the same as my gigabit capable netgear xr500 and nvidia sheild, common virgin 20 yrs I've been with and you were so efficient and helpful and customer based, I'd hapily go back to old vm with superhub 2 and slower speeds than some of the care I've been receiving, I hope that was just bad luck. Good evening all

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You do not have to pay £25 if there is a fault with your hub or cable connection, if the technician does not find any faults with the VM equipment you have to pay . VM guaranteed speeds are to your hub, not to any equipment connected to it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

How do you know what I'm getting at my hub?, this is CRAZY when I was on 350mbps 500mbps they were sending the correct speeds to my hub 3 if I had a slow speed situation the good people back then would send an engineer or a new hub to FIX the problem cos let's face it there's a problem not just me so I have brand new cables it's the same speeds on MULTIPLE devices if the hub is getting the speeds THEN CAN SOMEONE tell us WHY we are not getting it on our devices?? I'm doing tests on your favourite speed test sites and I have gigabit hardware with brand new cables on superhub4 router mode there are NO more variables, you are the so called experts and all you can say is well they are sending it to your hub that is not good enough, and then say if you don't know binary bla bla, I rather know women and just get what I pay for instead of sitting on vm forums trying to get the service I pay for day after day, I was polite in the beginning but the arrogance on these forums staggers me, some insightful ppl on here must work for vm 100% with these unhelpful innuendos an lack of empathy for customers who bought a service then has to research networking cos ppl don't give a crap, is this the unique usp vm is going for buy this if it don't work tough sht it is always the customers fault, I will try again once more tomorrow if no one at vm wants to reason ill be making an ofcom complaint a very insightful person linked me last week as this is insane and never ending 

Regards