cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of curiosity, how stable is Virgin's internet & its speed consistency, really?

felixcasa
Joining in

For context, we got a letter in the door saying my street will be getting Virgin broadband soon, but my only experience thus far by proxy is that your speeds slow to a crawl during the day and return to normal in the late evening.

Now: The thing is--my BT internet is extremely stable, I never have dropouts, but given where I live, I can only receive 36Mbps download and 8 upload with no option to upgrade. So, you can imagine why my curiosity is piqued, we're pretty much in need of an upgrade in speed, but what I've heard, you don't often get the speeds you're paying for.

However, I am very much aware that quite often the complaints regarding companies are a vocal minority, but at the same time, I don't know if I should consider giving up my extremely consistent, yet below desirable speeds with BT.

So, my question is, from an unbiased mind, how consistent is Virgin's connection with its speeds and overall stability with its uptime?

2 REPLIES 2

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Difficult to say on an individual basis given the number of internal and external variables. 

I suggest giving it a try and exercise your 14 day cooling off period as required.

Keep BT in the mean time. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Client62
Legend

This is our experience of the RFoG service in West Bergholt, at our address ADSL or WISP are the only other broadband options to VM.

This is a VM RFoG / FTTP area, since it was installed in 2017 the stability of the service has been excellent. The speed meets or exceeds the advertised rate with low latency and vanishingly low jitter.

We do not see slowdowns during any part of the day.  Video calls over Skype / Whatapp / Zoom are always stable over extended periods, we have a Cisco ATA for 2 phone lines again it just works perfectly as does TV streaming and SkyHD catchup services.

As with all domestic internet systems there have been a couple of glitches but so far these have been resolved in under 12 hours and only once has an engineer home visit been required to replace a failed Hub. The Hub was replaced next day.