cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of curiosity, how stable is Virgin's internet & its speed consistency, really?

manishkob
Joining in
For context, we got a letter in the door saying my street will be getting Virgin broadband soon, but my only experience thus far by proxy is that your speeds slow to a crawl during the day and return to normal in the late evening. Now: The thing is--my BT internet is extremely stable, I never have dropouts, but given where I live, I can only receive 36Mbps download and 8 upload with no option to upgrade. So, you can imagine why my curiosity is piqued, we're pretty much in need of an upgrade in speed, but what I've heard, you don't often get the speeds you're paying for. However, I am very much aware that quite often the complaints regarding companies are a vocal minority, but at the same time, I don't know if I should consider giving up my extremely consistent, yet below desirable speeds with BT. So, my question is, from an unbiased mind, how consistent is Virgin's connection with its speeds and overall stability with its uptime?
4 REPLIES 4

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

It all depends on outages and utilisation in the area, however... if the network is being installed in the area then it's very unlikely that you'll suffer from the above.

I can take a look into this for you if you'd like to see the available speeds you can get and also if there are any of these issues ongoing.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're in an area newly cabled by VM, it will be proper FTTP, not the manky old coax network, so tends to be more reliable.  In terms of speeds across the day, those problems are caused by VM's failures to stop selling before local capacity limits are reached, BUT they are unlikely to arise in a new network area, because it takes time for the problem to build up, and because newer areas should have more capacity built in anyway.

Whilst you've evidently had a poor speed experience before, and some people continue to have exactly the same problem, with the same poor responses by VM, I'm highly confident that won't affect a new connection on a new area of network.  Other than that, the service is normally stable, solid and consistently fast.  Customer service however, appears now to be even worse than a few years back - the same crap offshore support by slaves who don't understand anything and don't care, now supplemented with even crapper "chatbot" responses on the phone intended to disconnect customers before they can even get to the offshore numpties.  A very few connection problems go round and round with customers tearing their hair out in frustration at VM's staff insisting there's no fault when there very clearly is - peruse some of the longer running threads in the speed and gaming sections of this forum, although again on a newer fibre optic area things should work more reliably.

The other thing to watch for is VM have been having months and months of severe problems actually connecting customers, because the company's pre-installation processes have simply collapsed, and you could find that you are connected quickly and efficiently, equally you may face months of broken promises, missed appointments, and the misery of repeatedly dealing with VM's Kafkaesque customer contact.  Again, a look at longer running threads in the Quickstart, Setup and Connections forum will give you an idea.  

On balance would I recommend VM?  Yes, but caveated that you should not terminate the BT connection until VM is actually installed and running, and has proven fault free and as promised for a couple of weeks.  That also means you can cancel the VM connection if there's problems under cooling off rights, without messing around your existing ISP, although if you stick with VM you might have to jump through a few bureaucratic hoops to get the BT landline number transferred once the VM contract is running.  You also need to accept that the only credibly effective place to get in touch with VM, or get support is usually this forum, where the great UK based staff (assisted by the amateurs) will do their best to resolve any issues without the misery of having to deal with VM by telephone.  Even if you get the latest Hub 4, the wifi is poor, particularly compared to BT hubs, so at least be prepared to budget for buying your own mesh wifi system (say £100); VM email seems to be erratic, with patchy spam filtering, and a history of authentication and access problems.  I can't comment on VM's TV services.  Consider your speed requirements carefully - you can probably get a 1 Gbps deal, but do you need that?  You only get the new customer discount once, so "in contract" upgrades are usually poor value, and the best value will be judging your speed needs accurately and selecting the right speed up front, unless the speed is defined entirely by a TV and broadband package you choose.  

You can look at Ofcom's complaints data for Q1 2021 which shows that VM had the most complaints.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/223955/Telecoms-and-pay-TV-complaints-Q1-Januar... 

It should be noted, though, that two thirds of complaints were not about the actual broadband service.

"Virgin Media’s main complaint drivers were complaints handling (39%); fault, service, and
provisioning issues (33%); and billing, pricing, and charging issues (13%)."

My own experience is that broadband (and TV) have been almost faultless.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

A couple of questions need answering to help with this.

Firstly, is the connection going to be true FTTP. If so then it's less likely to suffer from the noise problems that come and go on the 'legacy' coaxial networks.
These directly impact on stability from slight degradation in speeds, through small frequent drops to total outages.

Secondly, is this Virgin coming to a completely new area or extending an existing area. If the latter it is more likely that there will be existing overutilisation and consequential poor speeds at peak times.

My experience in a 'mature' area is that peak time download speeds (19:00 to 23:00) regularly drop below 50% of my advertised speed.
It is, however, very reliable and we have very few outages or problems with connectivity - it really is there when you need it (apart from if you need the speed at peak times).
Six month ago it wasn't like this but because most properties have a VM connection point it's very easy for VM to add new customers without adding extra capacity to the local network segment.