cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting around 250 download on a 1GB package

nleaney
Dialled in

Hi.  I upgraded to a 1GB service a couple of weeks back.  When first installed I was seeing around 850-880 download and 45-50 upload according to speedtest.net.  During the last week it's been consistently slower - 250 down (but upload is still staying around 45). Latency is averaging around 17ms

Hub4 is in modem mode and I have a tp-link deco mesh router.  All my measurements are taken using a hardwired connection to the router.

I've tried the usual (restarting Hub and router a couple of times) but the speed is staying consistent.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I like and use a TP-LInk Deco myself, but you may need to add the test device to the Deco app's QoS list for best results, because my Deco router appears to proactively manage bandwidth for non-QoS devices.  If you're measuring speeds by wifi, then the performance depends on the device itself, the particular model of Deco, and the usual vagaries of wifi.  And there remains the possibility that your VM connection is at fault - if you can post up (as text, in three different replies) the hub's status data for Downstream, Upstream and Network log we can take a look.  You'll need to press "post" a second time to get the forum to accept, anonymise and post the network log.

If you can give a bit more info then we might be able to offer more specific advice.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I like and use a TP-LInk Deco myself, but you may need to add the test device to the Deco app's QoS list for best results, because my Deco router appears to proactively manage bandwidth for non-QoS devices.  If you're measuring speeds by wifi, then the performance depends on the device itself, the particular model of Deco, and the usual vagaries of wifi.  And there remains the possibility that your VM connection is at fault - if you can post up (as text, in three different replies) the hub's status data for Downstream, Upstream and Network log we can take a look.  You'll need to press "post" a second time to get the forum to accept, anonymise and post the network log.

If you can give a bit more info then we might be able to offer more specific advice.

Thanks for the advice. I did have the test device flagged as High Priority but I also had a couple of other devices flagged too (even though they are not actively being used at the point of testing).  Upon removing all but the test device I'm back to circa 800 download again! 

I assume the QoS works by diving up the available bandwidth and reserving a portion for 'High Priority' devices. The more devices flagged, the less maximum bandwidth is available.  I hadn't really thought about it before.

Hi nleaney, thanks for the message. I have checked the hub and everything is showing as green. We are glad to see that the speed is back, you would always get the best speed via an ethernet connection. You would lose around 23% of the connection when connected to wired rather than a wireless connection. Chris