Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ongoing Terrible Broadband (Latency)

I know this has been posted by multiple other people (just showing how much of an issue it is I guess), but paying for 200mbps broadband and having latency regularly in the thousands is now seriously becoming a pain.

I've attached a sample of my recent BQM graphs (though this has been going on since I moved to my new flat at the start of October). I've contacted VM so many times now and they've now 'fixed' the area issue (which made no difference to my internet - if anything I'd say it is getting worse) and so instead are sending an engineer on Monday. However, looking at the graphs this is surely something to do with the people on the network (given the peaks during the working day) as opposed to something the engineer can fix (which I said on the phone and I just got told the engineer was coming to fix it).

They obviously ask for speed tests, but the speed can often be pretty much the 200mbps (this is all on a wired connection), but it is the constant latency spikes and packet loss that are the issue - they negate any potential download speeds (would much rather have 40mbps and a stable connection).

Has anyone had any luck with getting any issues like this actually fixed in their areas? Video calls for work are horrendous - I can barely hear what people say and they can barely hear what I say half the time - and any kind of gaming suffers huge periods of lag which make it pretty insufferable (yet supposedly the package I have is great for gaming - at least that is what it said when I signed up).

Sam

Today:

sgw22_1-1606315563312.png

Last Thursday

sgw22_2-1606315663571.png

Wednesday 11th Nov (they are all as bad as each other - I am just demonstrating a small number of examples)

sgw22_3-1606315721682.png

sgw22_0-1606315527300.png

Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ongoing Terrible Broadband (Latency)

Your BQM is showing typical Utilisation issues.

If VM say that the issue has been fixed try a reboot to see if the Hub can renegotiate a better connection using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your connection again.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your help - I really do appreciate it!

I tried that again (I had tried a few times to reset the router but perhaps didn't leave it for long enough). At first I thought it may be a bit better, however I think that was just because of the time of day (as the graph trend consistently shows. Below is today's graph so far and looks like it has gone back to what it was, unfortunately.

Do you think this could be a router issue/something that the engineer will be able to fix, or would it most likely be due to too many other houses using broadband etc. during the day (obviously appreciating you can't know for sure!)?

Thanks again and have a great day

Sam

sgw22_0-1606390196193.png

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@sgw22 wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your help - I really do appreciate it!

I tried that again (I had tried a few times to reset the router but perhaps didn't leave it for long enough). At first I thought it may be a bit better, however I think that was just because of the time of day (as the graph trend consistently shows. Below is today's graph so far and looks like it has gone back to what it was, unfortunately.

Do you think this could be a router issue/something that the engineer will be able to fix, or would it most likely be due to too many other houses using broadband etc. during the day (obviously appreciating you can't know for sure!)?

Thanks again and have a great day

Sam

sgw22_0-1606390196193.png

That BQM is a typical over utilisation i.e.. too many users with too little bandwidth.

There is nothing you can do, locally, it is a VM engineering problem that they need to sort out. Just keep nagging them.

Can you post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! That is what I suspected may unfortunately be the issue - not sure how high up on their priority list it is! Obviously will just keep getting after them, and hopefully the engineer coming to look at my property on Monday will see that it is a wider issue and try to fix it at the next level up.

Like I say, I really do appreciate your help, so thanks again - here is my BQM as you mentioned - think that should be right but let me know if not.

Thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Part of my stock reply on over-utilisation:

In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will usually be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.  For some people when their area is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1, and sufficient customers are using the Hub 4, then that might improve matters, but this could take many months, even a year or two hence. Simply having a Hub 4 on its own won't improve matters for you.

Your chances of escalating this as a problem and getting it fixed are in my view nil.  If VM have already chosen to prioritise an area fix, it will be on the (probably long) list of utilisation issues to be fixed, and you'll have to wait on their pleasure.  If it isn't deemed a priority, either because it's too difficult or costly to fix, or deemed a problem that will self-resolve as customers churn out, then they won't be doing anything other than the slow creep of DOCSIS 3.1.  And even that isn't a panacea - if over-utilisation is by a greater margin than the modest (circa 15%?) improvements of D3.1, then that alone won't fix things.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me - sorry, I only just saw that you had.

That is what I feared, unfortunately! It is a shame as I have typically been pretty happy with VM for the years I've used them, but I guess I'll just have to look elsewhere in Feb when contract is up if they don't fix it asap.

Thanks again and hope you had a good weekend!

Sam

0 Kudos