Menu
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On M500, but slow speeds and confused about Hub 3

Hi

First, the speed - on M500 but getting around 100 over wifi

Second, I'm confused as to how the Hub 3.0 is working.  I have 3 BT discs that I'd like to use for the wifi.  However, I set the Hub 3.0 into modem mode and didn't have any joy in getting the internet to work over the BT discs (despite following lots of tutorials online / having only the BT disc plugged into the Hub 3.0).  Anyway, I've now switched the Hub 3.0 back to router mode (after a  whole load of failed reset attempts, finally got it back to router mode).  But I now have my BT discs plugged into the Hub and my devices connecting to the BT discs as the connection point (as oppose to the Hub 3.0 wifi).  I'm surprised that I can connect this way, as would have thought in router mode connecting to the VM Hub 3.0 would be the only working option.  Can anybody enlighten me?

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: On M500, but slow speeds and confused about Hub 3

I have the 2 disc pack BT whole Wi-Fi and never had issues with the Wi-Fi since this investment.

For the BT disc you leave the hub3 in router mode but disbale both Wi-Fi channels. The Wi-Fi is now managed by the BT disc.

If you ever do a hard reset on the hub3 don't forget to disble the Wi-Fi again otherwise you will have 2 networks in the house and a mess.

sayekm_0-1612988550833.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks for this - very useful info

I've now got things set-up accordingly and all working well - though speeds are slow-ish (around the 100-150 mark rather than the 500 mark).  Are there any potential tweaks to the BT wifi discs I can make to speed things up over wifi?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you disable wifi on the Hub as suggested above? Is the kit you are testing on capable of over 100mb wifi? Are you testing on 2.4 or 5 ghz?
As for the BT disks, if you cable up the backhaul it will improve thiings, but may not be doable.
0 Kudos
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

yes, 2.4 & 5 disabled on the vm hub - all connections now via the BT disc network.  

I have this kit:

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-refurbished-whole-home-wi-fi-trio-095661-refurb-DM9Q.html

Product DescriptionBT Whole Home Wi-Fi - Trio - Wi-Fi system - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac - desktop
Device TypeWi-Fi system
Enclosure TypeDesktop
Wi-Fi System Components3 access points
WAN Ports Qty1
Data Link ProtocolEthernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac
Frequency Band2.4 GHz / 5 GHz
Data Transfer Rate1733 Mbps

I'm not sure what backhaul means.....?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Backhaul is the signal from the Disk back to the Hub.  If you cable all the disks back to the Hub, it will improve performance.

Are you using 2.4 or 5ghz for testing?  2.4 will be slower, but a greater range, and 5ghz will be faster but the range is far less.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The BT whole Wi-FI should handle M500 easily.

I have M200 and it shoots to 220mbs very fast. But you can't split the band on this mesh so the system choses the strongest band.

I chose 2 pack over the 3 to minimise backhaul traffic. The 3rd disc may need to hop on the 2nd disc for backhaul. Maybe best to connect 1 disc and test the speed before adding the 2nd and 3rd.

Forgot to ask if you getting 500mbs wired direct to hub3.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos