Menu
JGreene53
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

On 350MB but getting 50MB

Hi All, really hoping someone can please help me.

I've been on the 350mb package for a couple of months now and have never got anywhere close to the quoted speeds. I think the highest i've ever seen was around 110. I've been trying to cope with it and have tried many things to resolve it but am at my wits' end now.

The absolute most i'm getting now is 80 on a wired connection (same with modem mode and a new TP Link Router) and 50 on wifi. Multiple laptops, smartphones, TV's and consoles tested.

It often gets so bad that youtube will freeze and then only resume playing at 360p.

I've also tried manually adjusting the channels to unoccupied ones, adjust the channel width, switching between 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ, resetting the router multiple times, changing the power sockets and ethernet cable, relocating the router and checking the coax connections are tight. I've also made sure to test the connection at non peak hours but the result is still the same.

A wifi analytics app on my phone shows 100% signal strength (and curiously 780Mbps...?) when literally on top of the router however even then the download speed is 50 at most. The TV and the PS4 upstairs show 90% or above signal strength but only get around 20 down.

Also every time i run the service status test on the VM site it just fails and says "Something's gone wrong with the test".

I was previously on BT Infinity getting 75 consistently.

I really don't know what to do anymore, does anyone have some advice please?

Thankyou

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: On 350MB but getting 50MB

It can be difficult diagnosing problems without some basic information so have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may not be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

………………………………………………………………………..

Set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

Then

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.