Menu
dl28
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Oh well

I hark back to the fateful day when the Virgin engineer came to my house to fit their broadband. Once he fitted it, I opened up the Ookla speed test app. I will never forget the look of trepidation on the engineer’s face! Luckily for him (the relief on his face was palpable) the speed test achieved, almost, the required mbps. Now, that was one of the few times it’s ever reached the promised mbps. I’ve contacted Virgin and had advice from this ‘forum’ all in false hope that the broadband will finally achieve the speed they falsely advertise. The only truth I’ve really had from VM was the look on that engineer’s face;  the metaphorical bead of sweat on his brow told me that the broadband speeds advertised by VM are a complete fabrication! I don’t know why I bother writing this complaint because VM are unable to consistently supply the speeds they advertise. How do they get away with it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Oh well

Hello

It is fine coming on here too have a rant, but speeds are certainly not fabricated as for one mine  is fine for my tier have 350mbs and get that 24hrs pretty much, dont forget that speeds are measured too the hub with a wired connection using a Car 5e cable, and that is what us guaranteed https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy

If you would like some help can you do the following

Can you please post your network stats from the hub
Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1
Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.
Posting the stats by copy and paste will remove all personal information so no breaches.
Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs (if they are pasted then all personal information is * out) and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.
Also please run "Check service status" at the top right of this forum and call 0800 561 0061 to check for local issues.
Also one think you can do is too signup at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and setup a broadband quality monitor which will keep an eye on you connection by sending a small amount of data to the hub asking if it still on.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
dl28
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Oh well

Sir. Thank you for your reply. My ‘rant’ comes from a place of exasperation.  I’ve had engineers and advice from good people like yourself to no avail. The countless amounts of complaints (and there are a lot) from VM customers on TrustPilot, here and others with the same issues as me suggests they don’t have the ability to supply the speeds advertised to a great deal of their customers. 
Thank you, I’m off to work shortly so I will follow your advice later. Have a good weekend.

0 Kudos