Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

NowTV and BT Sport - buffering

We have two scenarios, my house (SK8) with:

AppleTV 4K hardwired

350mbit/shub4

Nowtv app

bt sport app

recently I have had buffering and low quality in both apps. 

Scenario 2:

Relatives house (m19)

samsung lcd connected via WiFi (110mbits) 

Nowtv app on samsung

BT sport app on samsung

both scenarios get good Speedtests.

Any known issues/reports? 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: NowTV and BT Sport - buffering

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables?

If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

In either case you cant compare 2 separate properties ~5 miles apart - each will have separate wifi environments and network connectivity

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Robertus
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - as per my post above, the ATV is hardwired, no WiFi. And my point is, we have two separate environments but one common denominator (other than now/btsport) - we’re both on virgin connections. Both have been perfectly fine until about 3 weeks ago, when we both started experiencing issues. We’re both south Manchester but assume we’re on different UBRs.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Have you both   looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  then also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Robertus
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So service status is fine, but I don’t trust that  - especially for granular network issues like this potentially is.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Robertus
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Assuming it hasn't worked properly, as any trace route/ping -t shows no packet loss to 1.1.1.1 or other sources. Assume it's being blocked.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b29bdb9d5aca08c9ca33d0f0d196e4874f... 

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robertus, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with these apps. 

Looking at the BQM you have posted, it is suggested there is no internet connection at all. 

Checking the connection on the account that is linked to your email address, there is a power levels issue with the hub so we will need to get an engineer out to resolve this. I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot publicly, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Robertus
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes, assume the TB graph is broken/it didn't capture any data.

I had to reschedule the appointment for the following day, but that seemed fairly convenient and straight forward.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

A wall of red usually means that the ip address on the Hub you have in the BQM settings is incorrect or has changed - they sometimes do - e.g. when in modem mode.

Or the Hub4 isnt responding to pings. I have never even seen a Hub4 - others may comment - but have a mooch around in its settings somewhere like ....

Advanced Settings > Advanced > Ping > Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP

and ensure that the check box is ticked to allow ICMP requests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos