Menu
GaryGorilla
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Now TV issues

This is a strange one and I wonder if anyone else has had it.  We are tried the boost with Now TV and they say the minimum needed is 12 mbps.  We get much more than this and a test on netflix shows between 80 and 160 depending on time of day.  Now TV are telling me I am not seeing HD as it is only streaming at 1 or 2 mbps.  They are adamant its Virgin that are restricting the speed but how can this be?  I am using the Now TV app that is pre-installed on the Sony TV.  I tried an online chat with Virgin but nobody answered after 6 hours of being 'put through'

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Now TV issues

How are you connecting the TV to the internet, Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
GaryGorilla
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wifi, but as I say speed test for Netflix is fine and prime plays UHD fine.  Its just a NowTV issue.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @GaryGorilla

Welcome back to our Community - sorry that you seem to be having some issues with your NowTV app via your Tv set. 

In all honesty, this does sound more like a NowTV issue or an issue with their app - I assure you that we do not restrict speeds on any of our packages. After locating your account from your forum information I can confirm that everything is actually looking tip top. No known area issues, no errors showing at all. All signal levels are looking spot on too - and you've recently rebooted. 

Do you have the same issue when watching NowTV via another device other than your Sony TV? According to their website, you can watch your NowTV on over 60 different devices including via a PC or Games Console. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
GaryGorilla
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie,

Yes I had the exact issue with my roku streaming stick.  Both times they insist it is to do with the Internet service provider.

Again last night it did not stream in HD or with 5.1 surround due to streaming speed.

I have zero problems with HD, UHD, Dolby Vison with Netflix or Prime.  I have told them this but they say it can only be Virgin that are restricting the speed to NowTv.

I do not understand it but it is very frustrating and all I get is one company blaming the other.  Im at a loss 😞

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Uninstall the Now TV app from the device that you are using it on, reboot the device then re-install the app and try again.

Just checked and it is working OK on my Roku 4K streaming stick.

GaryGorilla
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Katie I have sent you a message with a screenshot of a chat I have had with NowTV.  They are saying again its a IP issue and streaming is 1 mbps.  I have just done a test on netflix and it says a connection of 185 mbps.  There is certainly an issue somewhere.  Hope you can help

0 Kudos
sp0
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue: NOW TV stick is failing to assess the available bandwidth correctly, so a programme will start in 720p/stereo 90% of the times then eventually 1080p/5.1. So for example I watched an episode of a show in 5.1 surround sound, then it took 15 attempts to start the next episode in 5.1.

The NOWTV help desk says that my “internet is fluctuating” which seems like a load of nonesense; their systems report I am downloading at 9Mb/s (vs 12.5 required for 1080p/5.1 to kick in) but I have a rock-solid 500Mb from Virgin.  Also my router’s analytics show 108Mb/s download to the now tv stick, and of course every other device is fine streaming at 4k.

Hypotheses:

1. the nowtv stick is incorrectly assessing available bandwidth because it is badly designed/written; and/or

2. there is some specific congestion or throttling between Virgin’s network and NOWTV which is triggering the above mechanism.

The first issue requires nowtV to take ownership of the problem (which requires us somehow to cut past first-level help desk people); but VM could look into the routing between their customers and Nowtv to check whether the second hypothesis is true.

GaryGorilla
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have sent a pm to the virgin media person that responded on here to show them my online chat with NowTV.

NowTV insist its a problem with virgin.  How i can only stream at 1mbps is ridiculous.

No issue with Netflix, prime, rakuten, apple tv etc

0 Kudos