Menu
Dreamstate1985
Settling in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not recieving stated "average" 200mbps fibre speed

Hello folks,

We recently upgraded from an old contract (60mbps fibre), and created a new account as new Virgin Media customer.

We opted for 200mbps. I've checked everything, installation went fine, all the wires are plugged exactly where they need to be (the red ringed fibre wire is in the wall socket, securely and firmly pressed and plugged in, the black end in the router).

Image of speed test 

As you can see, download is 81.66mbps, whereas the upload is amazing at 21.09mbps.

I saw that, even at peak times as stated here on Virgin Media, it shouldn't be below 100mbps during peak times. However, it has always been between 60 and 80mbps since we installed it yestarday. Did some resets of the router, etc, but no luck.

Either the socket provided in the house is somehow out of date, or the line attenuation is at fault and hasn't been altered in years to be operating much faster.

I would really appreciate some help on this.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not recieving stated "average" 200mbps fibre speed

How are you connecting your device, Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Dreamstate1985
Settling in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cable - I even switched out my ethernet cable for the one supplied by Virgin, but no luck. It does run from the router to a LAN plug socket (uses electrics of the house) and then I have a socket on the opposite end of the living room with another ethernet cable running from that to my PC.

I've tried using speed tests with various mobile phones, even right next to the router (and PC using wireless as it's in the same room), but they only return the exact same speeds.

tl;dr - both ethernet and wireless give same results, with nothing blocking the signal.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You need to test with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

Power Line Adaptors (PLA) are only as good as the ring mains that they are using.

What Make & Model are the PLAs ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos