Menu
Brizzol
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not reaching stated download speeds

Hi 
since I started testing my download speeds rarely have they come close to the 200mps I’m paying for. Last night it was 2 yes two! After resetting my box, almost a daily occurrence it managed 10. Absolute rubbish. Today I used your recommended Speed test and that was below 100.

Come on Virgin pull your finger out and deliver what I am paying for.

0 Kudos
Dali-A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not reaching stated download speeds

Hi

Speed Measured how and on what device(s)? What Hub model do you have?

Cheers

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable connected computer/laptop with the Hub in modem mode.

So make sure that your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or one that is “limited" to that in its settings or you will never get over ~100mbps) and has the most up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected. Check speeds like that first.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!). Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues.

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Stumac1980
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Please PM me with your account number and I can take a look at this for you.

Thanks,

Stuart

I am a Virgin Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some kudos
0 Kudos