Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Not reaching contracted speeds on wired connection

I currently pay for 100 mbps package 

I am currently reaching no more then 50 mbps on Wired connection and 2.4GHz wifi

I fully reach 100 mbps on my 5 GHZ WiFi 

I have also contacted customer support they ended up sending me a new hub 3 out with got the speed up by like 10 mbps which was 40 mbps and now 50 mbps so I thought it might take time to set up properly and obviously not

i have also posted one of these posts before and got told numerously that 2.4 ghz has a longer range but slower speed where as 5 ghz is faster but shorter rage which I already knew 

shouldn’t I be reaching my full speed on a Ethernet connection and I know it’s possible because my friend can reach 200 mbps on Ethernet and WiFi both frequencies 

I have tried everything resetting my hub changing channels changed about every setting I could in my hub settings buying new Ethernet cables buying a modem a WiFi range extender I have literally tried everything I can try and now it’s getting beyond a joke how I keep on losing connection to online classes and work calls and gaming sessions 

So all I’m asking for is help to try get my hard wired speed to what it should be and not someone to tell me the difference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands 

thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not reaching contracted speeds on wired connection

So your wired speeds are slower than WiFi?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Try a different Ethernet cable. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I’ve already tried that tried cat 5,5e and 6

all give no difference between each other 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi kmmarshall,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having. 

I have taken a look at the account and your hub hasn't been rebooted in 15 days. Would you be able to reboot the hub and let us know once that has been done?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Rebooted my hub but no difference in speed 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

To check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you need to do it directly.... that's on a "new" ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop (although in your case a 10/100 network card should be ok) , make sure it has up to date drivers AND put the Hub into modem mode so nothing else can be connected on ethernet. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.
If they are still low, then boot the device into "safe+networking mode " to disable all software that could be limiting speeds (lots do !!) and try again.
Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Strange on this.

Just to be clear, what device are you doing the speed test on?
Also, are using the SH3 in router mode?

Getting more that 75Mb/s on 2.4GHz channels requires a modern client adapter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am doing the Speedtest on multiple devices like my iPhone 11,Xbox one and my pc and getting all the same speed on all 

0 Kudos