cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting the speeds on plan

mpgarfie
Joining in

I am on the M125 Fibre Plan and I am only getting speeds of 89 Down and 20 up on ethernet and 70 down and 20 up on wireless.

I think it could be caused to the old router we have which is The Super Hub 2.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Hero

"89 Down on ethernet" - this is network cabled connection that has de-rated from 1000 to 100 Mb/s.

Typically this is a faulty or out of spec network cable that has caused either the Hub or the Computer to drop to 100Mb/s.

Buy a new CAT6A or better network cable so as to be able to connect at 1Gb/s with bandwidth to spare.

This is not the issue, the router I currently have is the Super Hub 2 which does not support the speeds I am meant to be getting which is 125mb 😕 I have tried using the connect app to request an upgrade of my hub free of charge but it does not support my current router.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

SuperHub 2 does support 125, however they are getting old.  VM should supply a Hub 3 for no fee just to get these older Hubs off the infrastructure, as they can only utilise 8 channels. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

How do I go about getting an upgrade for this? as it says on the website to use the VM connect app and connect via 4g to the hub, but that does not work 😕

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just wait here for a day or two for a VM Mod to pick this up. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A Hub replacement is for VM to deal with.

Cabled performance will be equally disappointed with the next Hub until the network connection issue is resolved.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/how-to-upgrade-broadband

Hi @mpgarfie 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'll send you a PM now to order the Hub 3.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me on PM @mpgarfie and allowing me to sort you a Hub 3. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/installation - this should also help if you need it with the self-install.

Let us know how you get on

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I have installed the new Hub 3, however am still getting the speeds I was originally, I have run two realspeed tests both one on Ethernet and one on my iPhone 13 pro see below: 

Ethernet

Capture.PNG 

iPhone 13 pro

iPhone 13 proiPhone 13 pro

Any further advice would be appreciated 🙂