Menu
odeejay
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not getting the speeds I pay for..

I have tried calling vm but thats no help, their advice all the time is to turn it off and on again... 

Any help here would be so appreciated, I work from home and it cuts out and the speeds are abysmal...  

We pay for 100mb but im only getting 40.. downloads take for ages.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting the speeds I pay for..

Is that on both ethernet cable connections as well as wifi ones? if just wif - are you connectting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz network? The 2.4 one will never give full speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
odeejay
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet, its on my PC, im a gamer too so yeah having slow speeds sucks 😞

0 Kudos
odeejay
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just did a speed test on my phone and yes, its the same on wifi 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How are you doing the speedtests? This is the "recommended" procedure.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.
So, can you test speeds directly like this.

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). Thats to ensure only one device is connected. Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello odeejay

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear 

Have you been able to get this sorted yet?

If not, I have sent you a private message to gain account access

Please ignore it if you dont require any assistance

Gareth_L

0 Kudos