Menu
Simmoj73
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not getting the broadband speed

Hi, we are getting around 40mps when we pay for 350 please can this be looked into as it’s affecting our network and ability to work and use the wifi 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting the broadband speed

First need to check how you are testing the speeds. Wifi or Ethernet? What devices? What sites?

Can you see this protocol I have posted before

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) so no other devices can be connected on ethernet

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Simmoj73

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Really sorry to hear of the speed issues. I fully appreciate the annoyance this would cause. 

I've ran a fault check and there are a few of your downstream channels out of spec along with the upstream

I'll send you a PM now to get this tech booked in.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
SonnyD
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I Don't know where you are located, but in both Croydon and Crawler (see other posts), there seem to be speed issues. Numerous customers have posted about this, but VM has not acknowledged it yet, at the time of this posting.

I'm personally only getting 4 Mbps, according to speedtest.net , whilst i should be getting 500 Mbps. Which the test showed a week ago.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SonnyD

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the broadband issues. From a fault diagnostic ran, we need a tech visit booked for you as some of your downstream levels are out of spec.

I'll PM you now to assist

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SonnyD

Thanks for joining me on PM

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in.

This can be altered or tracked in your online account

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SonnyD

Please don't send a PM unless asked 🙂

We would still need an engineer visit due to the downstream levels, 

Let us know how the visit goes.

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos