Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not getting speeds?

Hi,

Recently joined virgin media (not having a good experience), self installed hub a few weeks back, currently on the M500 ‘Oomph’ broadband only package.

If I’m lucky.. (I get around 90mbps through Ethernet).

I won’t even start on wireless, it ain’t that great either.

I’ve tried checking my cables/connections to ensure that everything was connected properly. I’ve also downloaded the virgin media app and tested the signal in each room, only for it to say it’s ‘Great’.

The hub itself is positioned in the living room where it’s connected to the wall socket.

I’ve tried calling (only to be put on hold for 2 hours, then cut off). I’ve tried emailing and messaging through live conversations, however no luck. Can someone please help or respond?

Many thanks.

Liam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting speeds?

90mbps is a trademark sign that you are using a 10/100 mbps network card and not a gigabit card.

What speed does your computer report the wired speed connected as

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thankyou for responding, I’ve done a few tests (Wired - PC), and they average around 90-120? However it fluctuates massively.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Sorry for the late response, I presume this is under the 'connected device's' tab?

It says '1000' under the speed column, what I have noticed though... After 11pm last night my broadband speeds were at where they should be, so does this mean it's a bandwidth issue with my area? If this is indeed correct, what's the best way to go about it?

I wouldn't of thought there will such a drastic difference in speeds, I get there will be slight interference though.

Just to note: I'm using a Cat6 10M cable from hub to PC, should I change this? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos