Menu
EnterTheGMan
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not getting speed I pay for

I've got the M350 broadband package as I stream both up for Twitch and down for Netflix etc, for months now I've been getting speeds from 120mbps to 200mbps, no where near 350 which I'm supposed to get and pay for.  I thought it might fix itself but also obviously it hasn't and it's coming to the point where I've had enough.  I don't know what else to do as Virgin are the only one in my area to offer good speed for what I need so it's frustrating to pay for a product that I'm not receiving.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting speed I pay for

are you testing those speeds over a wireless or wired connection?
0 Kudos
EnterTheGMan
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm running the speed test through a wired connection.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What device are you doing the test on, ie Laptop, Desktop, Console or Phone.

I find the best way to test is on a Win10 Laptop or Desktop and installing the Speedtest by Ookla app from Microsoft Store.

As the app has no ads, it gives better result than the webpage.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Post up your stats and logs - browse to http://192.168.0.1 - don’t log in, click router status and copy/past the detail from upstream, downstream and network log back here. You will need to split it across multiple posts.

also set up a BQM and post a sharing link to the live graph back here. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you are testing on ethernet do it this way

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop (not console), with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into windows safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos