cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting full 1Gbps speeds? READ THIS.

SS31
Tuning in

Hi all,

Just wanted to share some experiences after recently upgrading to 1Gbps Virgin Media package. After getting the upgrade, I wanted to verify I was getting what I paid for and as such I went on a mission to try and observe download speeds near the 1Gbps package quoted speed of 1130Mbps.

It seemed however, that the maximum I could get initially was around the 800Mbps mark on any speedtest site or large downloads.

I checked  samknows/realspeed which shows you your input speed your hub is receiving. It's the number on the left. That number has to be above 1000Mbps to prove that you even have a chance of receiving those speeds on a PC. The number on the right however, cannot be trusted one bit. More on that later...

SS31_0-1669332191490.png

Anyway, so after verifying my hub receiving the 1Gbps (you can also do this by logging into your hub), but I wasn't getting the speeds... So I made a a few upgrades.

1. I upgraded my CAT5e cabling, which maxed out at 1000Mbps. From my understanding, to be able to use the full speed, you will need at least a CAT 6 cable, which is capable of up to 10Gbps (10000Mbps). CAT7 or 8 will also work.
  2. I connected directly to my VM hub. I originally had a switch in between which was limiting my speeds.
  3. I upgraded my network card.  You need a network card which can handle the increased speed, such as 2.5Gbps. Search "2.5Gbps ethernet card" on Amazon. After installing, check the status of the network adapter and make sure you can see a speed of 2.5Gbps.
    SS31_0-1669332329466.png

After sorting the hardware, I then went back to check my speeds on various speed tests; speedtest.net, fast.com, samknows, which, thinkbroadband, etc, etc.

Not a single speed test showed me anything near the speeds I should be getting, despite the hardware supporting up to 2.5Gbps. Speedtest.net however, was the highest by far of around 850Mbps.

Samknows was especially confusing because of the number on the left, but the number on the right (the actual speed test) has been consistently the lowest one out of the bunch. It cannot be trusted.

So, was I actually getting the speeds I paid for? In fact... YES I WAS. I took to Steam to download some games and found that I was in fact almost maxing out the speed being sent to my hub:

SS31_0-1669331652002.png

A little conversions shows me I was in fact receiving 1144Mbps, as I peaked at downloading at 143MB/s:

SS31_1-1669331696061.png

So, moral of the story? You can't trust speed sites when you have a fast 1Gbps connection. Perhaps it's due to their capacity, load, methodology or some other dodgy stuff... The best way to test your speed that I have found is to go and actually download something from a big service with lots of capacity, such as Steam.

Hope this helps.

19 REPLIES 19

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What hub are you using? It must be a Hub5 and you must plug the device into port4, otherwise the maximum you will ever achieve is 940M. The Samknows Speedtest is correct. Also a good quality Cat5e cable will work ok.

Here is a Speedtest run on my router with a Hub5 in modem mode.

root@ubnt:/# speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Jump Networks Ltd - London (id = 24640)
ISP: Virgin Media
Latency: 12.96 ms (3.63 ms jitter)
Download: 1156.58 Mbps (data used: 1.3 GB)
Upload: 52.69 Mbps (data used: 40.0 MB)
Packet Loss: 0.0%

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi, I'm using a hub 5 (annoyingly I can't edit my post!) but of course, I am using the 2.5Gbps port on it too, with a cat8 cable as stated above.

There's clearly something odd going on with speedtests in general then, because I have never seen one above 1000Mbps, despite clearly getting those speeds on real downloads. It's very odd and misleading which is rather confusing to customers if they use the speedtest sites as a trustworthy metric for 1Gbps speeds - because they are not. Especially samknows realspeed who I have contacted directly.

Here's a speedtest I just did using the exact same server you did in yours:

SS31_0-1669372736768.png

Yet on Steam a few seconds later....

SS31_1-1669372907620.png

SS31_2-1669372924041.png

I have gig 1 and my Hub 5 is in Modem mode and connected to an Orbi NBR750 router which I use for WiFi around the house. I have a cat 6 ethernet cable connected to port 4 on the hub 5. However my speed test on the router is only returning a download of 940.27 Mbps. The upload is 53.71 Mbps.

Is this reduced speed due to a limitation of the Orbi NBR750? I am ok with this speed but was expecting nearer the 1156 Mbps as described above.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Hey, couple of things there:

1. Confirm the Orbi NBR750 router supports over 1Gbps
2. Confirm your network card (either wifi card or ethernet card) on your machine supports over 1Gbps, e.g. 2.5Gbps
3. Use Steam or something similar to check your speed as you might find its higher.

Really interesting to see you can get tests that high, whereas I cannot.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@banhamm wrote:
I have gig 1 and my Hub 5 is in Modem mode and connected to an Orbi NBR750 router which I use for WiFi around the house. I have a cat 6 ethernet cable connected to port 4 on the hub 5. However my speed test on the router is only returning a download of 940.27 Mbps. The upload is 53.71 Mbps.

Is this reduced speed due to a limitation of the Orbi NBR750? I am ok with this speed but was expecting nearer the 1156 Mbps as described above.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Yes but its not too big of a deal or get a router like this

Zyxel ARMOR G5 NBG7815 AX6000 MULTI-GIGABIT WIFI 6 ROUTER : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

---------------------------------------------------------------

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@SS31 wrote:

Really interesting to see you can get tests that high, whereas I cannot.

Routing bandwidth in given areas is better with Steam you have a CDN near by

---------------------------------------------------------------

Going into my Orbi NBR750 router settings via the browser, I can see the max is 1gb but there is also an option of WAN aggregation:

banhamm_0-1669373376383.png

The Max through one port of 1GB probably explains the 940Mbps.

However if WAN integration allow higher speeds, does anyone know if the Hub 5 supports WAN aggregation? (and what is LACP-IEEE802.3ad?!)

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To my knowledge nobody has tried port aggregation with a hub5, they just use the 2.5G port. Aggregation does not increase a single point over 1G, it’s more for multiple connections.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I will accept that 940 Mbps is the best I am going to get and will be happy with that. I was happy with my speeds on M600 prior to upgrading tbh!