Hoping someone can help. I have M100 broadband, hub3 and connected via ethernet.
Due to past issues my hub is now in modem mode, with a TP-Link Archer router now doing the work. This setup has proved far far more reliable.
All network cables are CAT6.
When I did the above I'd also recently upgraded from a legacy M70 package. I reset the hub3 so a new config file was downloaded.
I get reasonable download speeds of around 100Mb but the upload at it's best is only 5.9 when I was expecting 10. I would like to upgrade to the M200 or higher (they do 1GB now but would need new hub) but reluctant as there maybe an issue limiting my speed.
Looking at other messages I got my router status and the primary downstream service flow max traffic rate is 115000000 and the primary Upstream service flow max traffic rate is 6320000.
Am I right in thinking the configuration file above is limiting the upload speed to around 6MB?
Would another hard reset of the hub resolve this by sending a new config file or is the signal strength or something else the issue?
Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.
Post a link to your BQM on here.
Instructions for posting BQM Link
Under your BQM graph are two links in red.
Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.
Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.
On here click the Link icon (2 link chain)
In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK
@apole55 your downstream power levels are higher than they ideally should be but that in itself isn't the cause of your slow upstream - you got it right in the opening post, your connection has only been provisioned for 6 Meg up.
Personally, I'd wait for a member of the forum team to get to this thread and offer to contact you, I think calling customer services with this one would be a frustrating experience for all!
The high power levels really should be fixed as well (are you close to the street cabinet by any chance?) That'll probably just need a attenuator fitted in line with the hub - but if it's working (and there is a bit of tolerance in the circuitry), then there's no desperate urgency.
Many thanks for taking the time to answer, much appreciated.
I'm not near a street box that I know of, at the very end of the road.
The virgin comes into a junction box on the side of my house, it's a large cable coming in, with several smaller cables, then it looks like there were loads of cables coming out. Previous owner had lines in every room (for TV I think).
I'm not going to open the box as that isn't something I'd be in a position to fix/understand but peering in you can see a connector block with some wires not connected.
Also some of the old wiring coming out has been cut off (before my time).
All that being said there is one connection that goes through the wall and into the lounge to which the hub is connected.
Could it be that the higher than expected power is to do with the original setup which is now not being used. Wondering if an engineer visit would be wise to tidy all the historic stuff up.
When I posted, this part of it had slipped my mind as a potential cause.
Thanks again, will wait for Virgin team to review and advise.