Menu
Alexandra95
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not getting anywhere near my guaranteed minimum download speeds.

Hello. I have the M500 broadband package and I am not getting anywhere near the guaranteed minimum of 213mbps.

We are lucky if we hit 80mbps, however the average seems to be around 40. We are fairly new customers with Virgin and I would like to know how I can get this issue resolved, as we are not getting what we paid for.

Any help or information on this issue would be greatly appreciated. For information, I have already carried out initial troubleshooting, such as resetting the router etc. This has been going on for some time now.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting anywhere near my guaranteed minimum download speeds.

how are you speed testing - wifi or with a wired connection to a pc/laptop with  1gigabit network card and a cat5e cable or better

Tony
0 Kudos
Alexandra95
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony, I have tried speed tests on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet (using a cat 7 cable). I am currently getting download speeds of around 80mbps.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

80 meg suggests a bad cable or wrong settings on the network card - set to 10/100 rather than gigabit

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
Alexandra95
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

38910F80-C90B-4871-8781-DCEB9698B912.png

06F609CB-BFE8-4114-B941-4EB26C5CD165.png

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Alexandra95 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your speeds. 

I have taken a peek into your account and can't see anything of note that would be effecting your speeds.  The only thing that I have noticed Is some of the devices seem to be unhappy with the 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz.  It might be worth splitting the two bands - if you are unsure on how to do this than just click here , the second post down will talk you through it. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos