Menu
jb888
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not fit for purpose

I am reaching a point of incredible frustration and anger with my Virgin Media broadband.

Firstly it NEVER reaches the 350mbps speed which is what I am paying for. But worse still it has this extremely odd behaviour of continually hanging, dropping to low speeds or just not working. Then it will jump to 150-200 speed intermittently but then disconnect or drop to a standstill and 'hang' before coming back.

This means in practice the internet service is not fit for purpose at all. I cannot browse or go online in confidence, knowing that within 10-20 minutes the same issues will occur.

When I called customer support I was told to reset the router.

What worries me is that many years ago when I had Virgin Media in London I experienced the same issues - a promise of incredible speed but in fact a service that was never really working consistently leading to an awful feeling of no confidence when working or using it.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not fit for purpose

Are you talking about a wired or WiFi connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jb888
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wifi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

wifi is not garanteed and effected by factors outside anyone control.
You must test with a wired connection
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's unfortunate that the general public do not understand that even if you sign up to a high speed broadband service, wireless devices may never see the speed available due the devices' capabilities.

0 Kudos
TheChairman
Up to speed
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Well all be fixed with wifi 6 oh hold on a minute.

Would also help if people may sure they were causing cross channel interference.

0 Kudos
jb888
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've been involved in tech for over 20 years. I'm right next to the router. Providing a WIFI router should work. If it doesn't work then the service should be deemed wired only. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jb888 wrote:

I've been involved in tech for over 20 years. I'm right next to the router. Providing a WIFI router should work. If it doesn't work then the service should be deemed wired only. 

It is.

You pay for the connection to your house.

How you connect and optimise your internal devices is down to you. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You are talking about "speeds" from a "working" Hub. With your 20 years of experience you will know this about speeds but....

... my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get ~220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course) when in the same room as my wifi router (Hub in modem mode).
However, on wifi, they only ever get that speed when I put them onto the 5GHz network band. Sat in exactly the same spot if I then just flick them over to the 2.4GHz network band, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower speeds [30-40 mbps] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the devices and wifi technology - as you know.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jb888
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm comparing using an EE 5G hub literally a week prior to this disastrous install. This service worked perfectly across all my devices and the router was placed in the identical spot. 

0 Kudos