Menu
robert_afturner
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not even close to advertised speeds

I have been doing tests every few days consistently for the last few weeks from various parts of the house 

I'm supposed to be getting 200mbps I'm lucky to get more than 10mbps!

Is this can't be sorted I will be looking into changing providers.

(Images included from my phone via the wifi and my home computer which is plugged in via ethernet cable)speedtest.JPGspeedtest2.JPG

0 Kudos
billbill
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not even close to advertised speeds

Hi,

break the issue down into two separate parts.

Firstly BB, what speed do you get when using a computer that is directly connected to your hub via ethernet? (ensure wi-fi is turned off on the computer)

What hub do you have? is it new? Is it new cable to your house? is it new internal cable? Log onto router & see what speed it says (tools - network status)

I had a new cable from street box, new internal cable (I ran it myself) and ensured the terminations between exterior & interior cable were 100% perfect and waterproofed to stop issues in the future. Some flats may have pre-installed block wiring, or re-used old cables from a previous occupier for example, and may have unseen damage causing issues.

Until the first part is sorted, it is pointless trying to get good wi-fi, as that will never be faster than that of an ethernet connection. Personally, I have always found wi-fi from any provider to be quite limited in range. To be fair to the suppliers, they are restricted to the radio signal strength they are permitted to send from the router and cannot control the environment, e.g. concrete walls, densely populated area with all wi-fi channels in use by other providers. 

0 Kudos
robert_afturner
Just joined
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Turning off the WiFi fixed the speed on my computer which is plugged in via ethernet cable but speeds are still terrible on my phone and laptop. So I guess the router is terrible?

It's less than a year old though so certainly not an old one. Do I just request a replacement from Virgin? How do I go about doing that.

Kind regards,
Rob

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM do not, and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Blockage (visible) …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls, flooring / ceilings.

Interference (invisible) …

Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

My VM Hub 3 Wi-Fi went into meltdown when the local authority / police CCTV camera on the lamppost adjacent to my house was used.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos