Menu
hutton2877
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not been getting speeds i pay for since october

Since october iv been monitoring my broadband speeds. should have been getting 350 mps but only getting less than 100mps at all times during the day.

Iv now upgraded to m500 and still getting the same speeds. had a new router 7 days ago and still getting the same speeds. I cant get a hold of vm via phone or chat.

as im putting this on the forum im getting 47mps download and constant drop outs.

iv set up a broadband monitor tonight to see whats going on.

iv had a second line put in for a business and the speeds are bang on with no drop outs.

yeasterday an engineer came to install new 360 boxes and we asked if he can test our internet and he says our speeds are well below what we should be getting and i need to contact vm. im on the phone now but know that after 1 hour the call will go dead. please can someone form vm contact me as this is now showing to be a fault between the box and our house and not in the property as all conections have been checked and are secure.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not been getting speeds i pay for since october

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
hutton2877
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your response.

Iv done what you have suggested and my speed was 90mps and on the router it was reporting  100mps 

0 Kudos
hutton2877
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@hutton2877 wrote:

thanks for your response.

Iv done what you have suggested and my speed was 90mps and on the router it was reporting  100mps 

Your cable / computer configuration will not allow speeds higher than you are getting.

Check the cable is Cat 5e or better.

Check the Network Card settings; it may be set wrong or an old card set to 100Mbs.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
hutton2877
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Iv tried it on another laptop and I’m getting speeds of 127mps and the Ethernet speed was 1000 mps. 
Should be getting at least 500mps. 
im also getting drop outs. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@hutton2877 wrote:

Iv tried it on another laptop and I’m getting speeds of 127mps and the Ethernet speed was 1000 mps. 
Should be getting at least 500mps. 
im also getting drop outs. 

Put that laptop into 'Safe Mode with Networking' and do another test at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and no other devices connected

0 Kudos
hutton2877
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All tested and I’m still only getting 149 meg. Today as to be the worst day as all our devices are very slow and keep dropping out on Ethernet and WiFi. My son has a second business line for internet upstairs and his is working fine. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Call in with your slow speeds and see what they say.

0 Kudos
hutton2877
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Iv been doing that every night this week and the call cuts off after 1 hour. Even chat takes ages to answer Iv not been in a que for over 3 hours to chat to someone guess I’ll just keep trying. 

0 Kudos