Menu
Ypnos
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Not a good start (M500)

TL;DR The first and only time I got 500Mbit, was on installation day. Been getting between 46 and 110Mbit ever since. Virgin made it practically impossible to get in touch.

First time in my life went with Virgin Media, not at all impressed so far.

- Getting through on the phone takes 20+ minutes

- Chat has been switched off

- There is no email address to send emails to

- Complaints have been switched off (attached "oops" message") for days

- Even twitter messages go unanswered

So, the engineer turned up, fitted the line and set the Superhub up for Modem Only operation, so I can use my existing Asus router. Did a speed test, got 510Mbit - lovely. did a few more speed tests over the evening, got 400ish Mbits. Fine.

Following day, around 10am speedtests showing around 200mbit! Carried on testing and have been horrified to find that I cannot get anything above 110Mbit. Last night at 9pm I was getting 46Mbit.

Tried several WiFi devices and 3 separate ethernet devices (2 laptops and a dekstop), all showing the same results. I'm an IT engineer of 20+ years, so this stuff is my bread and butter. Very disappointed, but I can't say I wasn't warned about how poor VM is...oops.JPG

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not a good start (M500)

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some more troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Ypnos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I will do this tonight

0 Kudos
Ypnos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Here is the graph. In typical Murphy's law fashion, speed was OK last night (though considerably less than 500Mbit)

Graph 

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You need to set up another BQM as the one you're showing is not responding

0 Kudos
Ypnos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi, it was the firewall blocking ping requests - here's the latest graph

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/83d0e3c1fd832fcfc11fdb589512d2c6d1...

Here is my speedtest, on ethernet

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1602432690560336555.png

Pretty poor really.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Your BQM is what I consider perfect.

I have a feeling the 100Mbps limit is related to:

1. Bad ethernet cable.
  2. QOS settings on your Asus Router.
  3. Faulty HUB.

I'm betting on 1 or 2.

0 Kudos
Ypnos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I get 100Mbit-ish on all devices, whether wired (different cables) or wifi and I had already heard of the QOS thing with the Asus router, so I had switched it off in advance of VM install.

I don't know if the hub is faulty or not, because I have seen the setup do 400 to 500mbit, just rarely.

My guess is that because our street only got cabled a few months ago, the exchange will be overloaded as there has been a huge uptake.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Ypnos My guess is that because our street only got cabled a few months ago, the exchange will be overloaded as there has been a huge uptake.

Nope.  Your BQM is excellent, and overloading (over-utilisation in VM-speak) would show up very, very clearly as a sea of blue and yellow squiggles, but reasonable latency between 1am and 7am.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get with the hub in router mode?  I know that you want and expect to have it working properly in modem mode (I do this too) but let's see if we can isolate the problem a bit more.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks