Menu
kmmarshall
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Not Reaching Speed Contracted

About 3 months before Christmas I noticed that my speed had gone from 100mbps on my 2.4GHz network to 25-40 mbps I thought I’ll leave it and it will fix its self like it has done before but till this day it is the same I have rang virgin media and they tried aswell and resorted to sending me a new hub out I have received that hub today and now I can not pass 50 mbps I have played around with the settings reset the hub but nothing works but the thing is on my 5GHz network my speed is completely fine it’s just my 2.4GHz network I can not even reach the 100 mbps speed that I pay for on Ethernet/wired or wireless/WiFi  and I was wondering if anyone can help because now I have to work from home and disconnecting from video calls and dropping connection  and when I have free time I go on my Xbox and play video games and constantly lagging and I am plugged in Ethernet on my pc and Xbox and I am confused why it’s just my 2.4ghz network and as I have received a new hub what the problem actually is any help would be very appreciated 🙂 

0 Kudos
Marty20
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not Reaching Speed Contracted

Hi there, just to check, you're on 100mbps package correct? This speed will be obtainable through the 5ghz wifi band but the 2.4ghz wifi band is a slower connection that provides greater wifi reach. The 5ghz on the other hand is the faster conntection but does not reach as far. To clarify, it is not likely you would receive the full speed when on the 2.4ghz. Do you have a suoerhub3? Have you manually split the 2 bands in your wifi settings? Thanks, Marty

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
kmmarshall
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes I am on a 100 mbps package and yes I have got a superhub 3 and I have split the bands manually 

but the thing is I have had the 100 mbps speed on 2.4GHz WiFi and through Ethernet before but ever since before Christmas I noticed that the speed was much slower So I know that I can get the 100 mbps speed but for some reason not obtaining the speed 

0 Kudos
Marty20
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The bands are designed differently to be able to offer the best possible connection whether you are close to the hub or further away; 1 band is better range with less speed the other with less range and more speed. You might have actually been connected to 5ghz when receiving 100Mbps. Thanks, Marty

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
kmmarshall
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

But Ethernet only uses 2.4ghz and I was receiving 100 mbps on that

0 Kudos
Telumehtar
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Even an old 100Mbps Ethernet card should give you 100Mbps. 2.4ghz wifi should give you 100Mbps (unless you have a bad signal). If you're really only getting 25Mbps then there does seem to be something wrong.

Right now I can't think of much more to do other than nag Virgin Media to fix it, though.

I suppose you could disconnect everything going to your router except a single ethernet connection to your computer, factory reset the router, and try various different speed testing services just to be *super* sure there's nothing you can do yourself to fix it.

0 Kudos
Marty20
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

2.4ghz is a wireless radio frequency used for WiFi connection, this is separate from an Ethernet connection. In short, 2.4ghz is a slower band with better wifi reach, 5ghz is a faster band with less wifi reach. Ethernet connection is completely separate to WiFi. Thanks, Marty

0 Kudos
Telumehtar
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I seem to have missed the bit that said: "on my 5GHz network my speed is completely fine". Apologies for adding to the confusion.

Sounds like a wifi problem. Could be anything that could cause poor reception, including too much interference from neighbours. 5GHz is often less congested.

0 Kudos
kmmarshall
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have tried all of them I have literally tried everything from swapping coax cables with my tv box and my router But to nag virgin media seems to be my only option that is left thanks 

0 Kudos
kmmarshall
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

i Could I make it so my neighbours cause less interference with mine?

0 Kudos