Menu
AR619
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not Reaching Max Speeds with Ethernet & Slower speeds in general

Hi, so I have the 

Why can't I unlock that full ethernet speed (or even close to that) on my devices (PC and PS4)? Last time I checked, a couple of months ago, a speed test using WiFi right next to the router got me around that 110 down speed and 10 up - go into the kitchen and I'm down to like 20 or 30 down.

Upstairs, even with a range extender, I can get a max of 20 down with wifi. And one room upstairs pretty much has zero signal.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not Reaching Max Speeds with Ethernet & Slower speeds in general

That's becuase powerlines and wireless extenders suck, you need to invest in better solutions like a mesh system if you want great speeds all over your home

AR619
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried ethernet without powerline adapters and I still got the same results, less than 60 down. You're telling me I can't fulfill the max speed without a mesh system?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm saying it's normal that using an extender gives poor results and the same goes for powerlines and doing speedtests via a games console.

If you directly plug in a laptop to the hub I would expect maximum speeds

0 Kudos
AR619
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I did directly plug a laptop to the router and I got around the same speeds (not an extender or powerline adapter). Mind you I did have to use a USB-C to RJ45 Adapter because the laptop didn't have an ethernet port.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Could be the adaptor then.

What spec is the Ethernet cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure your extenders have a 1Gb port on them, from what i am reading it looks like they are 100Mb. So 60Mb is about the correct speed you will get.

I say this to most people on VM, the SH is useless. Get your own router and put the SH into modem mode.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
AR619
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cat 5e I believe. But even when powerline adapters aren't used and when the cable goes directly to the Router hub the speeds stay the same

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It could be the adaptor then.

What make and model is it?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
AR619
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's a TP Link Gigabit Powerline adapter. Getting close to 80 down now after I bought this new Gigabit adapter - TP-Link TL-PA717.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G37DJ8R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 Kudos