cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Getting M600 Speeds

Sami93
Tuning in

Hi all,

I upgraded my broadband to M600 on 18/05 and have noticed that I'm not even hitting 300Mbps over WiFi..

However, over Ethernet my speeds hit the 500Mbps mark, for example downloading games on my Xbox One X and then drop down again to around 200Mbps (ongoing during downloads)

I know I'm only two days into the new broadband setup so do you reckon I should wait until next week to see if the WiFi speeds have improved?

Kind regards,

Sami

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

7 REPLIES 7

Unknown67
Up to speed

You won’t get decent Wi-Fi out of the £1 shop Hub3 router. Better getting your own router, mesh system and sticking the hub in modem mode. Best thing I ever did.

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Sami93 wrote:

Hi all,

I upgraded my broadband to M600 on 18/05 and have noticed that I'm not even hitting 300Mbps over WiFi..

However, over Ethernet my speeds hit the 500Mbps mark, for example downloading games on my Xbox One X and then drop down again to around 200Mbps (ongoing during downloads)

I know I'm only two days into the new broadband setup so do you reckon I should wait until next week to see if the WiFi speeds have improved?

Kind regards,

Sami

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

the speeds wont improve - you can change things a bit which might help - split the wifi bands and turn off wifi optimisation would be a start - but what devices are you testing on - wifi speed is controlled [in part] by the receiving device so if thats limited to 300 then thats it regardless of the speed at the hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Appreciate the reply!

I have a Huawei AX3 AX3000 (Dual Band 3000mbps speed) set up to my Hub4 and I'm not getting anything over 315Mbps over WiFi. Ethernet is no problem, hitting over 600Mbps easy.

Virgin Media have advised to wait a bit for the broadband to settle in...

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
"Wait for it to settle" .... is a standard fob off from the offshore CS agents to get you off the phone.

Has the router got some QoS enabled on it that partitions the bandwith between devices/uses? Its quite common.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Sami93 wrote:

Appreciate the reply!

I have a Huawei AX3 AX3000 (Dual Band 3000mbps speed) set up to my Hub4 and I'm not getting anything over 315Mbps over WiFi. Ethernet is no problem, hitting over 600Mbps easy.

then you have been lied to - offshore was it - i thought so - 1:0 to them it got you off the phone with them able to tick the box that the problem had been solved

so [sadly] you need to look elsewhere for the solution

Tony.
Sacked VIP

@Sami93 wrote:

Appreciate the reply!

3000Mbps is marketing rubbish.

If you look at the specs of the router it states:

Wireless speed is up to 2976 Mbps (2.4 GHz: 574 Mbps; 5 GHz: 2402 Mbps)

so they just added up the maximum speed available on both bands!

Are your devices Wifi 6, as 2402 Mbps will be the speed for that standard. Wifi 5 devices won't be capable of those connection speeds.

What speed are your wireless devices connecting to the router? If the device itself has a cheap/lower spec wireless adapter it might not be capable of faster speeds.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sami93

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your broadband service when using WiFi. 

I have taken a look from our side and can see you have an appointment scheduled with our technicians to investigate this. Please do let us know how the visit goes and if you require any further assistance in the future. 

Thank you, 

Nat