Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No upgrade path from M350

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if there was any way I can improve my broadband package from the M350 I am currently on? I've been happy with Virgin overall but don't have a TV package. (This rules out Oomph). I've been working in IT for over 20 years now so if there is any way I can get involved in testing new packages I would be eager to find out more and improve my speeds / latency. I've completed the survey in order to become eligible for testing of new packages.

I keep seeing the 1gbps service which looks interesting. I have a 10gbps network at home that could take advantage of this.

Regards,
Richie.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: No upgrade path from M350

Hi,

As far as I am aware you must get TV added to go faster.

With regards to testing, its kind of random. Sometimes they test whole areas, sometimes they test specific people and other times they test it with staff accounts only for things like new equipment that isn't released yet or packages that aren't released yet. 

Maybe someone else has a better input than me.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Harvey_H. It's such a shame that you have to get TV added to go faster. I currently pay for just the M350 package and although I pay a premium to have just this, I am surprised I can't pay a premium to get the M500 package. It seems like Virgin Media are missing a trick here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you really don't want TV but you are happy with paying the price. 

You don't actually have to get the TV boxes installed. I have had this often a number of times where the customer doesn't want any TV box installed and just wants the faster internet. Very regularly I get them on a 2 TV box 500mb/s BBI package and only want 1 TV box instead and not the 2nd.

So you could technically do that. But then of course you're paying for a service that you don't actually use. A surprising amount of people do this.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can get the Gig1 package separate without the need for TV providing it’s available on your area 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the TV boxes wasn't so damn slow and under spec then I would probably consider going back to Virgin for my TV. I had the TiVo 1TB box previously and it drove us to despair even after having it replaced. (3 to 7 second delay after pressing remote buttons on the menu) Sky Q is now our mainstream and works well with our 4K setup.

I think I need to price up my options with regard to paying for TV and not using it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't believe the Gig1 package is available in area code 6 yet. I couldn't see it as an upgrade option on the website which showed I was on the maximum package.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The TV boxes now are on V6. Still powered by TiVo so the menu is exactly the same, but it is much better now and higher spec. Controllers now work over Bluetooth as well (unless the battery is almost flat) and you can record 6 TV shows at once now. It has massively improved since the TiVo 500 or TiVo 1TB days.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It’s probably not in your area then.

You'll need to wait until it is - there’s no way of “trialling” products - that’s invitation only. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi