Menu
chriscpenman
Joining in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

No service in the evening

I’m in Motherwell and while my broadband is generally fine during the day it is utter **bleep** in the evening

For the past few weeks after 10pm my speed drops from 70-200mbps to 1-3mbps. 

virgin comment on my hub needing rebooted, wrong position etc etc but clearly my hub is fine or it wouldn’t be great during the day

virgin also insist that the service in my area is fine. If I check the ap or website in the evening I’m told that there are no issues with the network. Which is clearly nonsense 

anyone else having this? It’s infuriating!!! 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: No service in the evening

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
chriscpenman
Joining in
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

So for that to monitor 24/7 my mobile would need to be connected to wifi 24/7? 
What happens when the signal completely vanishes as it just has and I end up on mobile data?

or similarly on my laptop when the wifi just vanishes and I get literally no signal?

0 Kudos
chriscpenman
Joining in
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

CE387C7E-D508-4449-A9CB-661D42773DB7.png

0 Kudos
chriscpenman
Joining in
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

my broadband has been down completely since i posted. the ap and website tell me the service is great but when i phone 0345 454 1111 there is an issue in my area which will be fixed by 10:30pm. so there is obviously something wrong which virgin just don't want to advertise on their service status 

i'm not actually able to set up the monitor though as i literally have no broadband at the moment, i'm connected thru my mobile data right now

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

BQM has nothing to do with the mobile. The site pings your Hub and monitors the connection over time. So as long as its set up correctly and your Hub is switched on it will work

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
chriscpenman
Joining in
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

how is it going to ping my hub when i have no broadband?

my broadband has completely vanished since posting on here so i literally have no broadband connection at all at the moment

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

You will need to call it in as a fault then and when it comes back on set up the BQM.

Call free on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others (national rate) and see what they say when they test your connection. The UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) gives the best chance of getting through quickly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
chriscpenman
Joining in
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

OK - it takes a few hours to build up and then runs continually and stores 24h data sets in the "calendar". Lets see how it looks later.

Just to ask... when the connection gets poor in the evening, is that evident at the same time on computers/laptops connected to the Hub on ethernet cables as well as on the wifi connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos