Menu
thornero
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No answer on Virgin media again!

Trying to call regarding slow internet for last 2 day. No answer! I'm sorry but I cant sit on hold for 40 mins waiting every time I try.

Have performed all the actions advised by your support web page. makes no difference.

I pay for 100mbs. I get 8. I'm pretty sick of this now. Can't even get through to someone to cancel the service.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: No answer on Virgin media again!

I've moved your post to the broadband forum where the "locals" should be able to help you a lot more...

By means of a starter for six though, are you testing these speeds on a wireless or wired connection? You need to be speed testing on a directly Ethernet connected device to be certain of your speeds - this eliminates all the extra issues and variables that WiFi brings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
thornero
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Japitts. I guess my moaning may have been a little misguided. Having tested direct with eithernet I get very good speeds. So looks like wireless is the problem. 

I'm sat next to the router (Hub 3.0) and only get 10 Mbs over wireless. Any tips on troubleshooting?

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Make sure your wireless signals are split, 2.4GHz and 5GHz and try connecting to 5 Ghz for fastest possible speeds, although this still depends of the device you are using and how old it is.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@conman33158 wrote:

Make sure your wireless signals are split, 2.4GHz and 5GHz and try connecting to 5 Ghz for fastest possible speeds, although this still depends of the device you are using and how old it is.

How to do the above:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-number-of-devices/m-p/4345285#M3... 

0 Kudos
thornero
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have split the signals and now run my work vpn on 5GHz. which is fine until wife and kids login (I left them on the 2.4 GHz) when everything eventually grinds to a halt and my connection drops. should I put everyone on the 5GHz?

Yesterday, when the connection was capitulating I even connected my laptop via ethernet, but it still ground to a halt and dropped.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The difference between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz is that 2.4GHz tends to be the greater connection but slower speeds and 5GHz is the weaker connection but greater speed.

To be honest you would probably benefit from putting the hub in modem mode and using a decent third party Wifi 6 router for a better all round connection.

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@thornero wrote:

Thanks. I have split the signals and now run my work vpn on 5GHz. which is fine until wife and kids login (I left them on the 2.4 GHz) when everything eventually grinds to a halt and my connection drops. should I put everyone on the 5GHz?

Yesterday, when the connection was capitulating I even connected my laptop via ethernet, but it still ground to a halt and dropped.

May I advise you to download and install a Wi-Fi analyser to show if there are any foreign Wi-Fi broadcasts interfering with your own Wi-Fi signals. From there you can look at refining your own Wi-Fi broadcasts.

I use this one ...

WiFi Analyzer Premium - Apps on Google Play

wifi-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos