Menu
Wilson101
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No Wolverhampton hub on speed nest double latency

Hi there. 
we’ve been unable to connect to the Wolverhampton virgin media server for over a week. It does not exist on any speed tests anymore. The result is we have double the normal latency and are having packet loss issues. 
does anybody know.

A. What the issue is. 
B. If and when it will be rectified. 
c. Is this a joke for premium service ?

thanks guys any info warmly received. 
time to look into new ISPs now fibre is rolled out round here I think. 
stay safe. 
wilson. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Wolverhampton hub on speed nest double latency

VM have discontinued the Ookla Speedtest servers as the Hub 3 and 4 now both have SamKnows speed test functionality in the firmware.  That built in capability will only work if you're using the hub in router mode, and you'll have to have a delve in the settings to find out where it is - I don't know because my Hub 3 is in modem mode.

But if you're seeing packet loss issues, that's most likely your cable connection, rather than Speedtest routing, so consider posting your hub's status data here (as text, not screenshots) and somebody will take a look at it. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Wilson101
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks man 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Wilson101 

Probably worth adding that, whilst I understand that VM intend to make the Samknows realspeed test available via the Hub3, the firmware to support this has not yet been rolled out.

It is available if using a Hub4 in router mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wiggles
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Wilson101 wrote:

Hi there. 
we’ve been unable to connect to the Wolverhampton virgin media server for over a week. It does not exist on any speed tests anymore. The result is we have double the normal latency and are having packet loss issues. 
does anybody know.

A. What the issue is. 
B. If and when it will be rectified. 
c. Is this a joke for premium service ?

thanks guys any info warmly received. 
time to look into new ISPs now fibre is rolled out round here I think. 
stay safe. 
wilson. 

https://samknows.com/realspeed/ is the tests for Hub 4 I use that to check my incoming from the wall as it will do that direct to the hub 4, as for everyday tests I use http://ovh.net/ to do my tests as the OVH/Nperf servers are far superior to Ookla IMHO

3rd Line IT Support Staff (non VM), Avid Gamer, Can cook toast and not burn it

My Broadband Ping - Home VM
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Wilson101 wrote:

Hi there. 
does anybody know.

SpeedTest only checks your speed/latency to the server you're using to test. Virgin Media's own servers would give the best possible results but other servers give a more realistic result of your connection to the wider internet. 

The removal of the Virgin Media servers won't have any impact on your actual connection,  only the speed test results.

Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Morning @Wilson101

Welcome to the forum community and thanks for posting this on here, sorry to hear you're having some issues with your speeds and latency but we can look into this for you. 

Are these speeds low on all devices or is it just some that are experiencing these speeds? 

I know this may sound obvious, but have you checked our service status page for any outages which could result to decrease in speeds? 

Have you also carried out a pin  hole reset of your hub to see if this makes a difference? 

Please do let us know so we can check further into your account for you. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Wilson101
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there. Thank u for getting back to me. 
yes I’ve done a pinhole reset. 
I’m currently getting about 30mbps download. 
a few weeks ago was getting 380!!! 
best wishes 

Wilson. 

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me @Wlson101, 

I am just going to pop you over a PM so we can look at your account more closely if that's okay.

You should see a purple envelope at the top of your page, if you click on that, it will take you to PM's. 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Wilson101

Sorry for the spam in messages, but I have booked you a technician to get this sorted for you. 

I have PM'd you over the details and if you wish to change or cancel this, you can via your virgin media account on your order section. 

If you do also have any further questions, please feel free to message me back 🙂 

Have a fab day and enjoy the sunshine 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

0 Kudos