Menu
Tronied
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New installation, wrong package enabled?

I've recently moved home and the Virgin connection was installed this morning. Once the engineer had finished, he said he could get 200mpbs on the Wifi, but that ethernet would give the full 350. He also said that the signal was perfect. I was bit suspicious given the fact that I could get 400mbps with my phone next to the router at my last place, but he promptly left and so without any other way of verifying this, I lugged my gaming PC and monitor downstairs. I connected it up via ethernet cable and found that the connection maxes out at 200mbps / 20 up. 

I've talked to the general support guys and they confirmed that I'm on the M350 package. When I mention speed they said they're transferring me to the Technical Support team and... nothing. I've waited an hour multiple times and still no messages or connection to the tech support team. Now, it seems to me that the wrong package has been enabled on my line. 200 / 20 is the lower package is it not?

Can someone help me to resolve this please?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Tronied
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation, wrong package enabled?

Just as a follow-up, I've restarted the router and done all of the steps online to "resolve" the issue. Is it just the case that it takes a few days for the connection to stabalise?

0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

a few minutes maximum. I had a visit on Friday. First speed test was still low. Tested again a few minutes later and correct readings were given.

One for the moderators to sort out as the telephone support people will never solve this
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Go to 192.168.0.1, click Router Status and click the Configuration tab.

Post back what’s there. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tronied
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your messages. Here is the route status configuration tab data:

General Configuration

Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file
cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u-b.cm

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID621138
Max Traffic Rate402500089
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID621137
Max Traffic Rate38500089
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0
Max Concatenated Burst42600
Scheduling TypeBestEffort

That seems to imply that it's the correct rate then? 402500089 / 1024 / 1024 = 383 roughly? Wonder why it's maxing out at 200 / 20 😞 If the 200mb is all they can get to me, they should downgrade me and I end up paying less.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes you’re on the 350Mb config.

What device are you Speedtesting with?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you are indeed on 350 - if you have seen 200 then your lan card and cable are ok - put the hub into modem mode and connect the pc to the lan port next to the coax and run a speed test - use a few different servers and if you have different browsers try more than one - if its still slow put the pc into safe mode and try again

post back the results

also

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
Tronied
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, thanks for all your messages and help again. I'm not sure what has happened, but I tried the speed tests just now and it's shot up to 384 / 35 now. Even the rubbish Wifi speeds have gone to near that when close to the router. Really not sure what was happening there, but just glad it's working now. Maybe it was the router which just needed to sort itself out. Thanks again for your help! Sorry to waste all your time.

0 Kudos