Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New install ... green flashing light after just 24 hours - virgin can't arrange an engineer!

Had a new install on wednesday on 350mbps. Its an ex-sky FTTP area which virgin have just taken over. It was all working for exactly 24 hours then just stopped.

I reported it, they said it needs an engineer and they couldn't book one the system wouldn't let them. I should "wait up to 48 hours" to see if it came back on (great advice thanks!)

I reported it again, they made me do the same reboot, check cables etc, said (unsurprisingly) I need an engineer, but guess what, the system won't let them book one in the area. They will escalate and I will get a call back in an hour.

Guess what, no callback, and I have better things to do than the hour and a quarter I've already wasted on this getting precisely nowhere. 

Anybody got any ideas what I can do to get somebody to actually get this back up and running??

This sucks big time. Currently using my phone (not a virgin phone) to use for VPN for working from home. Far from ideal, already  through 2gb today!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install ... green flashing light after just 24 hours - virgin can't arrange an engineer!

If therw is a "known fault" in the Area or postcode, they cannot book an engineer visit - its blocked or auto-cancels, until that fault is fixed and clear. Makes some sense I guess.

As well as trying the “check service,” weblink at the top of this forum board, there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues/problems, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info.
If nothing shows there call it in again and see what they say about the "known fault" and if possible get a fault reference number that you can follow.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install ... green flashing light after just 24 hours - virgin can't arrange an engineer!

Yes, we've already been down this route twice! they have left me on hold for 10 minutes a couple of times while they check and double check with somebody because their system says no faults.

Its really frustrating and I suspect this is actually something to do with being a new area with only 2 postcodes working at the moment while they build the rest out. I bet they've done something without realising but it won't flag as a fault. This is their process failure and an engineer has just messed something up not thinking it would cause outage somewhere else.

The bit that annoys me isn't that its gone wrong, things happen. I always think the measure of a company is how they correct a mistake. And so far this is about as bad as it gets from my point of view! Not even that an engineer can't come today, but I can't even book one so I'm stuck on square one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Pju123 and sorry to hear you're experiencing some broadband issues.

Are you still experiencing this or has this since been rectified?

If it's still ongoing can you please let us know if there's currently any known area faults currently showing on our Service Status Page

Also could I please confirm if you've recently attempted a reset of the Hub if this is still happening as well as checked if the wires are seated securely in the ports? 

Let us know and we can investigate further if needed.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It suddenly started working this morning without an engineer attending but there hasn't at any point been any service status outages. Also, install for the bloke over the road seemed to happen without problems so quite what the heck is going on at your end is anybody's guess.

Whats most frustrating is the promise of call backs and not getting one. This has been without doubt one of the worst new customer experiences of my life and I was an O2 customer once so that says a lot!

I'm still waiting for somebody to call me back over the complaint I raised, but I guess that will happen when hell freezes over too.

So, broadband has now been installed 5 days and has worked 40% of the time. That's not a good stat is is?

Fingers crossed it doesn't go wrong again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm glad to hear you're back up and running now Pju123.

Can I please confirm that when you raised this complaint was it with an agent over the phone? If this was a manager callback we aim to provide this within 72 hours from request. If a complaint was raised this will be assigned to the agent you spoke to regarding this previously, who should either escalate this to their manager or contact you for an update on the situation. 

I'll include our complaints code of practice for you here as well. 

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Call backs were supposed to be from two agents, one from a senior manager who the original problem got escalated to and I was promised a "call within an hour" plus callback from the complaint I raised last Friday afternoon.

I also contracted via text chat (that too was about 24 hours for the first response to see if I still needed a response...amazing), & twitter who pointed me into these forums.

I raised the original fault on Thursday 5pm (ish).

Essentially, I'm not annoyed about the broadband going down (these things happen), I'm annoyed at the fact I couldn't make any progress or talk to somebody who actually could go off script and just got empty promises mixed with a frustrating process.

I'll await the call over the complaint.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @pju123

We can certainly understand that frustration - As a company who strives to offer every customer a great experience it's always disappointing to learn of instances where this hasn't been the case.

I do hope that you have since been contacted since your post on Monday and are happy with the resolution? If you still need any help with your complaint, please do pop back and let us know and we can take this up via Private Message. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos