Menu
cmrn
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

New install, extremely slow

Hey there!

Virgin Media came to my area a couple of months ago, and I decided to go with the M500 broadband service. The engineer came yesterday, and installed my two TV boxes, and my fibre optic cable. Once he left, my download had an average of 43 Mbps, over 10 tests I did. I did 5 on my phone, next to the hub, and 5 on my computer which is wired through a Gigabit powerline adapter. 

Today, I am getting 150ms ping and less than 15 Mbps download. I have spoken to the initial engineer who is coming back on monday, however as I am working from home, this downtime between then and now is proving a nuisance. Is there any possible fixes to this that can at least bump my speed up to what I was getting yesterday?

msedge_VCcZHIXPcm.png

msedge_wpmIdjbrcQ.png

msedge_B8b3vGn6bW.png

msedge_37nCNzs61Y.png

msedge_SmA0NG2yj9.png

msedge_H5BeoljAK5.png

msedge_5EcqbQ2XfT.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install, extremely slow

Firstly, your log image has been rejected to protect your privacy as it contains MAC addresses.  Always best top copy and paste the log as the forum software will then censor the MAC addresses.

Power levels look OK.  Upstream levels are towards the low end of the recommended range but still within it.

Have you tried testing when directly connected to the hub via Ethernet?  Wireless speeds are not guaranteed nor are connections via powerline adapters as they can be slowed by poor electrical wiring or noise on the circuit from other devices.  While PLAs are less prone to interference than wireless they are not immune to it.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cmrn
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

I haven't tried to directly hardwire the ethernet to my pc as its miles away, however I can try my laptop.

I have a feeling it isn't going to make much a difference seeing as even the wireless is extremely slow, even when right next to it.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@cmrn wrote:

Hi Scott,

I haven't tried to directly hardwire the ethernet to my pc as its miles away, however I can try my laptop.

I have a feeling it isn't going to make much a difference seeing as even the wireless is extremely slow, even when right next to it.

It is a common misconception that being right next to a router guarantees good wireless speeds, it does not.  See the following quote:

"Working with a wireless device too close to the router can have a detrimental affect on performance. The signal may be too strong and distorted causing data corruption and retransmissions which will slow down the performance considerably.

If your device is immediately above or below the wireless router it may actually be in an area of weak signal. This is a phenomenon caused by the positioning of the antennas in the router."
https://www.astro.co.uk/home-wi-fi-network-mistakes/#:~:text=Working%20with%20a%20wireless%20device,....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
cmrn
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I understand your point, but regardless of my position in the house, the speed is still well below the expected speeds that comes with M500.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The only scenario where you can 'expect' 500Mbs is when you use a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
cmrn
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am not saying I expect 500 mbps download, I am saying that I am not getting the expected speeds that comes with the M500 package.

The minimum guaranteed download speed that comes with the M500 package is 258 mbps. Like said I am getting less than 15.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@cmrn wrote:

I understand your point, but regardless of my position in the house, the speed is still well below the expected speeds that comes with M500.

OK, but without a direct wired speed test it is difficult to establish where the fault lies as the hub stats don't show anything obviously wrong.

If a direct wired speed test shows full speed then we know it is a wireless issue, either interference or a hub fault and that your PLAs were limiting the wired speed.  If a direct wired test is also slow then it does suggest a line issue.

The minimum guaranteed speed is for wired devices directly connected to the hub, not wireless or wired via any third party router or PLAs.

0 Kudos
cmrn
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I will check a direct wire connection now.

0 Kudos
cmrn
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As can be seen, with a direct wired connection the speed is marginally better, however nowhere near what is guaranteed by Virgin.

45C942B0-4B83-49AB-B054-1503361704D0.jpeg

0 Kudos