cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install and 1 Gb running slow slow slow

ewhitey
Superfast

I have a PC with Gigabit connection connected directly to the Hub4 via a Cat 5e Gigabit cable - Distance about 4 to 5 metres.Connected to my hub presently and for all testing are my pc and my iphone 8. I previously had an M600 package with almost identical issues then whilst transiting to the 1Gb package, moved to M200 for about a week and that work flawlessly from start to finish!!! 

I had 1Gb installed last week and haven't got anything greater than 943Mbps but overall average is around 4-500Mbps?

I have used countless speedtests and are generally in unison that my connection is slow - Realspeed Samknows shows anything from 350 to 980 but usually is in the 400's.My upload speeds are averaging around 50, latency around 15 and packet loss always less than 1.0 (last check was -0.121.

Regards wifi, my phone on last check using Samknows was 397 to hub and 319 to phone - Ookla test was 479 up and 49.5 down. Overall any test on my phone will show anything from 69Mbps to 500Mbps sitting right next to the router?

I'm confused as to why a) I'm not getting a decent speed e.g. always over say 850 and b. Why my readings are so widely variable?

Last speed test run/ethernet:
nperf.com: down 246 up 51.63
Fast.com: down 290 up 50
Samknows: down 390 down 293
Thinkbroadband: down 215 up 39.7
Ookla Website: down 351 up 52.84
Ookla Windows app: down 676 up 52.80

iPhone 8 Wifi: Ookla app: down 358 up 43.5    Realspeed Samknows: down 397 down 319

98 REPLIES 98

Hi Gareth_L

OK before we start and to be clear, the wifi drops are a secondary issue and the least of my concerns. The RealSamknows tests I've listed above are from my Hub4 direct to PC via a cat5e ethernet connection not wifi. The hub to my recall has been rebooted several times including one maybe two pin resets. I have also tried different cables i.e. cat 6 and cat 7 and another PC namely my sons fancy IT laptop. Hope that helps and I'm happy to follow your guidance 🙂 

Thanks for your reply ewhitey

I have booked the first engineer appointment we have available

We can look at everyt thind and if needed get this escalated to our Networks Team 
You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the fault has gone 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L

Hi Gareth_L

Really appreciate that response- Engineer visit set for 17th September 12pm-4pm

Did you find anything specific?

Hi ewhitey

Nothing at all stood out from here 

Speed to Hub is perfect 

Up and downstream are all looking healthy

Which leads to the Hub may be faulty as you have factory reset it and its still an issue 

The Engineer on the day will be able to check in more detail 

Gareth_L

Hi..Thought I'd provide an update.

Engineer arrived today and was at my address for quite a while. They seemed to do quite a bit of troubleshooting, made a few changes and explained to me as much as they could. After extensive checking they confirmed there was a low speed issue and I wasn't getting the correct speeds to the Hub - The numbers I've been getting in speed tests were very similar to those done today (300-500 odd to the hub). It was found that the issue appears to be coming from the street cabinet or somewhere further back in the line. They have therefore, called for a Network referral and such, I should receive a visit within 24 hrs. I am happy that a fault has been found because I'm fed up with people telling me that all is well when it's clearly not. I would again like to thank all those above who've helped me out with this and I'll update regards the Network team visit.

Thanks for the update ewhitey,

Glad to hear that our engineers have diagnosed the issue and have now reported this to our network team for you.

We have taken a quick look at your account this morning and can see that the fault network ticket is still open, which means this is still being looked in to.

We appreciate the frustration this issue has caused, as it seems that you have been advised that all is fine previously, sometimes its only when an engineer visits that we a network issue is detected.

Please keep us posted and if you need any further assistance come back to us. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi_S

Yes - The engineer was fantastic - very efficient and friendly - couldn't do enough to help. 

Since then however, VM (CS or Network Team) haven't been in contact - Will I be contacted and when will I know if the issue has been fixed?

I noticed yesterday that even my upload speeds where poor - often as low as 10-20 to the hub?

Many thanks 😉

So its early afternoon and the Network guys have just left - Again very nice guys - and confirmed after diagnostics that I have "noise" in the line. They found I wasn't getting proper or consistent speeds to the hub but whilst checking it cleared up and I was getting the 900 to 1GB range. They showed me what looks like a very thin BQM type graph - red yellow and green - and it was mostly yellow with some red and periods of green - This graph showed issues as far back as August. They said the issue was intermittent and such, required further monitoring. They advised because the issue cleared it makes it more difficult to track and find the cause so they’ll keep the ticket open and return if and when the issue does.

UPDATE: After less than an hour or so, back to square one and as i type, its the same PC running slow etc! Last Realsam tests today with pc in safe mode: 416/396…401/409…399/345…935/344…398/372.

UPDATE: Network called me yesterday and said issue was fixed but they were unable to ascertain what the cause was. YAY i thought and I returned home and did some tests: 923/300...915/314...406/326...401/333...399/319? This morning I received email from VM advising my issue was fixed - YAY...I thought... again!!!  

Got up and did some speed tests (PC to Hub4 via Cat5e and only one webpage running) and my results were as follows: 403/310...943/298...399/337...402/345... I've been told the speed to Hub should be consistent and I should get at least 7-800Mbps to PC from the Hub so why am I only getting 3-400 and if the issue is fixed why is the speed still going up and down? My system still has transient issues e.g. my PC often runs slow and when watching you tube videos I get buffering (never had that before). My PC can easily do 2160/4k - Yesterday I was watching a 1080p video and had to reduce it to 720p just to make it watchable.   

Thanks for your post and update, ewhitey,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing service issues. Has the service improved since your post?
I did  a remote diagnostic and was not been able to find any issues with your connection.
We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/broadband
But do let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
Corey C