Menu
Wasntme
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

New customer not getting minimum speeds in cooling off period

Hi I joined virgin just over a week ago on m200. Getting around 90 Mbps straight from the hub 3 via ethernet. Tried rebooting the router several times and still no better.  

Thankfully in my cooling off period so I'll try and cancel as give up on the chat function. Before I do   I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience of getting the speed improved or do you just get left stuck with excuses?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer not getting minimum speeds in cooling off period

Is your wired device capable of getting speeds >100mbps? Is the cable Cat5e or better and thus not limiting speeds to ~100mbps?

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you need to test speeds properly.... that's on a NEW ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop (not with a 10/100 NIC card), with up to date drivers connected with the Hub in modem mode (see VM websie for the "how to").  Then test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers. 

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown software or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. 

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.