cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, is fluctuating internet speed normal?

efrain86
Joining in

Just got Virgin Media installed today and the speeds are an increase over my last provider but I've noticed it's been a tad inconsistent, staying where it should be to about half the speed I should have.

I know that some other networks have a 10 day break-in period where they test for the best connection/ speed available and just wondering if Virgin has the same system and that's why there's some inconsistency? Thanks.

Got phone, tv + internet if that's relevant

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Legend

The VM Router does not have an initial 10 days of Dynamic Line Management like a BT Openreach ADSL/FTTC service over the phone lines.

Once the VM Hub has booted and is ready to go it also ready to do so at the subscription speed and you can see that in the Hub's Check router status >>> Configuration page.

To test the service to the Hub and to your computer or mobile click on https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test starts click on Run full test to see all the figures. 

The speeds at the Hub should reflect you subscription rate and to the device depend on its abilities and how it is connected.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How are you testing?

You need a wired connection direct to the Hub, preferably with Cat 6 cable.

Don't forget VM only guarantee a wifi speed of 20Mb to any room, hence the need to test wired.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi efrain86,

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us.

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue with your speeds. 

We'd love to take a look in to things but have been unable to locate you on our systems using your forum credentials. We will need to confirm some information with you in order for us to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. Just click on the little envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs