Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New M200+phone install. Getting 40-50 down and 20-23 up.

Hi

Can I expect the download speed to improve? If so how long before I mutter again?

Tried to post the router stats, but the message was rejected as it said you can't go over 20,000 characters … wierd

TIA

Rob.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New M200+phone install. Getting 40-50 down and 20-23 up.

no the speed you get is the speed you get. there is no training or setup time on cable

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks, what can the issue be. My daughter gets 320/34 on her line just round the corner!

How can I post the stats? - cut and paste takes all the html and blows the posting char limit, and a screenshot says it's invalid html, even though all I did was use the camera option ...

TIA

Rob.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi RobFlet,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for posting. I'm sorry that you're not receiving expected speeds, I hope the rest of the install went well.

In taking a look at the backend of your services, I've been unable to identify any cause for concern. The network segment looks healthy and the speeds entering your property are reporting as expected.

Could you please confirm whether your testing a wired or wireless connection?

Could you also let me know what you're using to test? We would usually recommend speedtest.net.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm using various speed tests. However, my systems are all interconnected with homeplugs!!! I need to update these to the higher speed versions as they will be the cause of the lower speeds seen at the end devices. Sorry to be negative … the hub stats show that it is indeed connected correctly and running as expected.

I'll report back once the high speed plugs are in place … one PC is a 10/100 interface and the other a 10/100/1000 - there is a higher loss for some reason as the homeplug which has the feed from the hub is in a different socket compared to the original with BT (lounge vs kitchen!). I might run an ethernet to the kitchen and see if the current setup gets better using that socket as the "injection" point ... 

Once again, thanks for replying and I'll get back later next week ...

Rb.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rb,

You're absolutely right, your homeplugs could well be the source of your trouble. Do let us know how everything is once you've played around with your setup. We're always happy to take a look at your connection to see if we can locate any issues.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rach!

Put the gigabyte homeplugs in now. The PC in my studio now get around 90-103 megs - this has to traverse the downstairs ring main to the dist box and then back to my studio on it's own ring. The upstairs machine still only gets around 30-45 megs, but again downstairs ring to dist box and then onto the upstairs ring.

I also tried a AC600 usb wifi dongle upstairs, pretty much above the hub and plasterboard walls (not brick!). After getting it to use the 5Ghz band, signal was good to excellent, but speeds awful around 23-30 megs, so I ditched this and gone back to the homeplug onto a 10/100 ethernet card. Usb dongle will be going back to PCWorld! Dongle would not even connect from my studio!

Looks like I will have to lay cable, but might have to run around the outside of the house to my studio!

More as and when ...

Rob.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the update there @RobFlet

Do pop back when you are ready as @Rachael_F advised and we'll be happy to help. 

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos