Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

New Gig1 install - it's a bit all over the place

Just wondering if anyone can provide any pointers for how to get our new Gig1 connection running reliably?

The installation was a really good experience - the engineer took the time to make sure the cabling was run exactly as we wanted it. - At the end the download speed on the router was around 400Mbps - he tested it using the Samknows real speed test and said it was a bit slow but would sort itself out.

Since the installation the download speed has increased but still isn't stable - it reached 900Mbps and wouldn't go any higher than that (using Samknows real speed) until I turned off the child filter - at which point it started occasionally reaching 1000Mbps. It's still quite variable though - the lowest speed I've had is 170Mbps.

The upload speed is all over the place. Using Samknows realspeed the upload ranges from 1.4 to 46Mpbs - it's quite often 10-14Mpbs even when the download is more than 900Mbps. I actually purchased the Gig1 specifically to get a higher upload speed than the 12-14Mbps we could get with Plusnet fibre so this is really disappointing.

Other posts on here ask users to post the router stats but when I log onto the Hub4 the router status won't load so I can't get to the power levels. I've also tried to run the VM "Connect" App to diagnose the problem but it doesn't support the Hub4. I have managed to set up a BQM though - it looks like the packet loss might be a bit high but I'm not sure of this.

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 08.00.02.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Gig1 install - it's a bit all over the place

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Due to one of the bugs in the Hub 4's firmware the "check router status" link doesn't work (a big one handed clap for whoever shipped a device that hadn't been properly tested), but you can still get the router status by logging in and navigating the menus.  As I'm avoiding the Hub 4 like the plague I can't tell you the specific menus, but I'd guess Admin and then Tools or About, or similar.

When posting stuff, post status data as text not screenshots, and if you need to re-post a BQM likewise a link to a shared chart is better than posting an image due to delays in moderation.  I've previewed your image and you've redacted the IP which is wise, but you wouldn't even need to do that when referencing a shared graph.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. Per my original post I can't load the "router status". When I log on to the Hub4 and click "router status" it opens a white box but nothing loads after that....

Here's the BQM link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/676548fd91749014f2de0c0df14f769d562f6c6b
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

"Due to one of the bugs in the Hub 4's firmware the "check router status" link doesn't work (a big one handed clap for whoever shipped a device that hadn't been properly tested), but you can still get the router status by logging in and navigating the menus. "

Happy to be told otherwise but there doesn't seem to be any way of accessing router status info on the Hub4 through the admin / advanced admin menu - so there's no way of determining power levels as an end user.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Happy to be told otherwise but there doesn't seem to be any way of accessing router status info on the Hub4 through the admin / advanced admin menu - so there's no way of determining power levels as an end user.

Have a look under Advanced settings>Tools   As I say, can't be certain as I don't have one, but might be there.  If it is, another element of bungled interface design, since any logical thought process would put status data under "Admin>Info".  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes - you're right - the router status is hidden away under a sub menu. Thanks for the pointer!

Here are the power levels on the router:

Power Levels PDF 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your Downstream Power Levels individually are all within spec but, the differential between the lowest at +0.8dBmV and the highest at +8.3dBmv is too great.

This will need an engineer to put right.

You can either call in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. 

Will it need a remote engineer to fix the power levels or does it require someone to actually come and fiddle with the street cabinet and / or the router?

0 Kudos