Menu
papa_lazarou
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

New 350mb installed-rubbish

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 8.55.33 PM.pngjust had 350mb broadband only installed. Had virgin at previous addresses over the last 20 years, including all the way back to NTL....

Connection is all over the place with speeds ranging from 110-380. All previous ones ive had have been pretty much solid from 50-200mb installs, being 95-110% of advertised speeds. I will never accept the bull of busy times you get less (upto 50% less), this has never been my experience. Yes done all the usual resets, change settings blah blah. As said earlier, ive had experience of virgin and their useless routers, so dont need to try anything i havent done already in the last however many years LOL.  Iusually run the virgin routers in  modem mode (all they are good for). But question for this lala superhub 3 is this, one channel is on a minus 0.2 to zero power level. What will this mean for performanceScreenshot 2020-11-16 at 7.50.58 PM.png

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: New 350mb installed-rubbish

@papa_lazarou wrote:

just had 350mb broadband only installed. Had virgin at previous addresses over the last 20 years, including all the way back to NTL....

Connection is all over the place with speeds ranging from 110-380. All previous ones ive had have been pretty much solid from 50-200mb installs, being 95-110% of advertised speeds. I will never accept the bull of busy times you get less (upto 50% less), this has never been my experience. Yes done all the usual resets, change settings blah blah. As said earlier, ive had experience of virgin and their useless routers, so dont need to try anything i havent done already in the last however many years LOL.  Iusually run the virgin routers in  modem mode (all they are good for). But question for this lala superhub 3 is this, one channel is on a minus 0.2 to zero power level. What will this mean to performanceScreenshot 2020-11-16 at 7.50.58 PM.png

I can only see the first 9 channels.

You need to post as text really, and include the upstream, downstream, AND network log.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi papa_lazarou

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the broadband issues and for the delayed reply.

From checking the system today, there is maintenance in your area and the estimated end time of this is 3pm today. Reference number C01164153 is for your records. 

Please monitor the connection for us after this time and report back if you get any issues

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
papa_lazarou
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

hi thanks for a reply

i suppose theres work going on at the minute, 6.30pm on sunday 27th December

My upload 38mb

My DOWNLOAD 38.6 on wifi and 78 hardline

So i need a refund firstly and then someone to get out and check the wiring at the cabinet end which the contractors who came to check had a problem sorting out.

Or maybe you have capped my download speed!!!!

0 Kudos
gitty
Up to speed
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@papa_lazarou wrote:

But question for this lala superhub 3 is this, one channel is on a minus 0.2 to zero power level. What will this mean for performance

That is a good number. The number is a ratio between two numbers on a scale that can be negative. log10(1) = 0.

0 Kudos
papa_lazarou
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Good on the values thanks

But why am i getting capped! Virgins policy clearly states you will not get capped. After downloading lots of games onto a PS5, around 500GB, I get capped at 20% of my ‘advertised’ download speed which is costing me £55 a month. Fair use policy i could agree with, we dont want people downloading terabytes of data every hour of the day for obvious reasons. But the important thing here is i have been capped when virgin state that they dont do capping according to the contract we all sign into.

So im pretty sure im owed £55 for this month also for last month when the same thing happened! New PS5, lots to download and capped!!!! So much for virgins contract, full of possible, some my say untruths.Download speeds you inly get after midnight, when most people are in bed, and capping which virgin dont do LOL

0 Kudos
Simulacra
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

It seems VM is a big crap and unable to keep promises.

I've got 22-35 time after time if it functional at all. They even failed to identify the issue. But the minimum promise for M200 is 107mbps.

Is BT better? I'm seriously thinking to leave VM as they put me in complete social isolation and compromise my work from home during disruptions in their service. 

0 Kudos
Avalon-One
Tuning in
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

A few points, firstly as you quite rightly point out VM clearly state they don't cap, so far in multiple years since this became policy, capping has never been a thing, so you aren't being capped. What can happen is localised capacity issues at peak times, but beyond that once you get off VM's network you are at the mercy of the peering/routing to the remote server and it's load, with Christmas and new console launches both Xbox Live and PSN etc have taken a hammering - that's all beyond Virgin's control. Sony even agreed to reduce speeds in the EU (like many of the streaming services) over fears they could bring the internet to a crawl (thank the EU member nations with sketch internet provision for that one).

0 Kudos
papa_lazarou
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone from virgin media frequent these forums? I need to know how to get a refund for the TERRIBLE service i am getting. Even reading the smallprint, I am getting less than the 50% we are expected to 'be happy with' with reference to the advertised speeds we are paying for. My download currently sitting between 70-120 is less than the 50%, so like a few years ago, when someone from virgin media kindly called me, to admit thay they had an over-subscription problem, and their network infastructure in my area just couldn't cope. This was being upgraded and hopefully in the near future would 'right' itelf. I received a number of monthly refunds until the service normalised.

So not wanting to have a hopeless call to india is there an easier way to arrange a refund against the £56 a month i am paying for this useless internet connection i have at present???? (why the hell can't virgin just give jobs to people in this country, to help support communities locally? Too many people from all over the U.K. are losing their jobs due to this covid calamity, and many of them need jobs now. Oh its cheaper to give the jobs to other countries as they charge less, and therefore the guys at the top can have extra to pay for their lifestyles)

Simulacra
Tuning in
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I agree with the first paragraph. I'd like to get a refund too. 

0 Kudos