Menu
PJM4
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New 1GIG Hub Problems

Just got threw 1GIG Hub and the download speed is 30Mbps - considerably worse than before and nowhere near what it should be. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New 1GIG Hub Problems

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
PJM4
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thx - good speeds close to router, but jump around a lot, but no WiFi signal/or very patchy elsewhere in the house (despite resetting the boosters).  Spent 1.5 hrs on hold to virgin earlier, then they hung up, so pretty frustrated now!

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi PJM4, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Very sorry for the issues you're having with the new hub and for the delay in replying, we have been busier than usual. 

I've had a look into the back end of things from here and can see the hub was recently rebooted and there's no issues showing from here. 

Are you still having issues at the moment?

Are the speeds you're getting via Wi-Fi or Ethernet? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
PJM4
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, it’s the coverage around the house which is the problem. The WiFi signal is very weak/ non existent outside the room the hub is in.  All virgin boosters are connected. The coverage for WiFi is worse than it was previously with the old hub, I have no idea why that would be?

0 Kudos
zarf2007
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ISP own routers are always rubbish, do yourself a favour, buy this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D/ref=sr_1_3...

put the hub4 in modem mode. You have 30 days to trial it from Amazon, you won’t regret it.

conman33158
Super solver
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes as zarf2007 says, go for a third party router and put the Hub in modem mode. I too had crap wifi with the Hub 4 and bought an "Asus RT-AX82U" and don't regret it for a minute, I actually bought another Asus router for the bedroom and set it up as a mesh system with Asus "AiMesh" and now I have great coverage all around the house and in the front and back gardens which is handy for streaming music in the summer months 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
PJM4
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks All, I will take your advice and buy the router and let you know how I get on.  How do you change the hub to modem?  Thanks again

0 Kudos
zarf2007
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

see here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

obviously only do this after you have connected your new routers WAN port to the hub4 (and make sure nothing else is connected to the hub4). Also the new router should update its firmware when setting up but if not make sure you do that.

0 Kudos