Menu
tom502
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

New 1GB package but not 1GB speeds

Hi,

On Friday night I plugged in my new hub4. After the initial set up - and having to factory reset the bloody thing several times because the "settings" password didn't work - I managed to finally get it into modem mode.

That night I managed to do a speedtest on fast.com that read 1.2gbps. Since then I have run many speed tests on various websites and they have ranged from 10mb to 800mb with most of them being around 400-500mb.I have done these tests on 2 different wired machines and at various times of the day.

It seems there isn't a diagnostic on the virgin site for the hub4 so it suggested I post here. When I was on the 350mb package I would get 360 on almost every test I did with the odd anomalous lower result but even those were around 280. Nowhere near the wide range I'm seeing now.

Any advice?

Thanks, Tom

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: New 1GB package but not 1GB speeds

If your Hub was in router mode you could check www.samknows.com/realspeed - that is a test that talks directly to the Hub 4 rather than to your end device. It then runs a separate speed test to your device.

This will then tell you if you're getting the correct speed to the Hub. If you are then you'll be able to see why the speed in your home network is slower.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

As above.

And also speedtest with no other router in between. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tom502
Joining in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys, didn't know about the SamKnows test being part of the hub4.

I'll give it a go this evening.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hello tom502

How did you get on with the test? 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
tom502
Joining in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi, didn't get a chance yesterday. I'll update when I have tried it.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thats great tom502

Were here every day for most of the day 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The other test you can try is with a cable to the hub in modem mode using speedtest.net, the best will be about 940Mbps.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
rmboss
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys and thanks in advance for any help provided. I didn’t want to start new subject as my question is related in some way.

Why the hub 4 its not capable of pass the 1 gbit thru the wifi connection ?

I recently upgrated Virgin to the 1 gbit and the best results I have on wifi is round 650 mbit/s.

All me devices are capable of such speed (2 iPhones 11 Pro max, xbox one x, LG C9 and also planning to get proper gaming computer).

I know the speed is delivered to my hub accord to samknows so there is no issue with signal.

I was hoping that Virgin will supply such a hub or router to get the most of it. I know ethernet cable will help me but everything in my house is connected on wifi even the oven lol.

Is there any chances I can get close to 1 gbit over the wifi ? e.g putting the hub in modem only and get some good router with wifi 6 ? If yes kindly could you please advice me what router as the prices are different from £100 to £500 ?

Also when I got 350 mbit/s every single test was always over 300 sometimes 380 once I got it to 400 when messed round with 5ghz channels but now with the 1 gbit tests its like everything from 200 to 650 top. Why is such a different on every test ? Sam place next to the hub. There is no faults in the area been told yesterday.

appreciated any help

thank you all

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Because current WiFi protocols in the Hub4 don’t allow for gigabit speeds over WiFi. 

If you want better WiFi speeds then you’ll need to get your own Wifi6 router and run the hub in modem mode.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi