Menu
TurtlePoo68
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Never had anything like the promised 200MB/s, now it's almost unusable

I'm at my wits end. We moved house in July 2017 and brought our service with us. Since the move we have never seen anything like the 200MB/s we're paying for and at best have managed about 40MB/s for short bursts. Recently it's got even worse, with really slow speeds and regular loss of external internet connectivity. Unfortunately, due to the current situation, I have been unsuccessful in contacting anyone within the business to discuss.

It looks to me like the installation at the property has been extended in various places - I suspect, by the previous owner. This was not picked up by the Engineer who installed the equipment when we moved and I'm pretty sure that all we need is someone to run a new coax from the property point of entry to the two TV and Hub locations. I mentioned this to an engineer who came to look at why some of our TV channels were breaking up a year or so ago but he seemed in a rush, tweaked something in a cabinet up the road and left the TV breaking up less severely and on fewer channels.

My contract is now up for renewal and I'm considering moving over to either a BT fibre or 4G supplier instead. I'd rather get the service I have sorted once and for all, though. I've been a VM customer since they took over the NTL World network and I like the service when it works.

Can anyone give me any hints as to how to get someone interested in helping us out? I'm paying nearly £100 p/m for TV and Internet and then being forced to use a mobile hotspot to get a reliable connection.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Never had anything like the promised 200MB/s, now it's almost unusable

You haven't said. Are your internet connection issues on both wifi and ethernet cable connected devices - or just wifi?
What TV box do you have - V6 or Tivo?
What might sort the issue depends on knowing these things.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
TurtlePoo68
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

The internet problems are on both wired and WiFi devices.

I've previously disproved WiFi issues and IP Config issues by completely disabling WiFi on the hub, disconnecting everything except one PC from the hub and running a speed test directly after rebooting the modem. It made no difference. Additionally, when the Internet drops off, our WiFi devices are still connected to the WiFi and showing a decent signal strength, we have very flaky WAN side connectivity.

We have 1 x Tivo, one 1 x V6 and a Superhub 3.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So what speeds do you get wired directly to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
TurtlePoo68
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I ran a test this afternoon and with WiFi disabled on both frequencies, only a laptop plugged into the hub and the hub freshly rebooted I was getting approximately 55 Mb/s. As soon as I re-enabled WiFi, the speed dropped to about 4 Mb/s in spite of there being very little traffic.

Is this a problem with the hub firmware? Would I be better disabling the WiFi and buying mesh WiFi? If so, can I leave the hub in router mode to gain the use of the four ports or would I be better buying a little network switch and using the hub in modem mode?

For the record, my download signal strengths vary between -5.5 dBmV & -1.7 dBmV and all channels are showing a SNR of about 38 dB Upload is only showing about 4.4 dBmV. This seems really low, could this be the cause of my slow speeds?

I also set up a BQM this afternoon:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4536f67e9520cadd7ac0a13595a042c6bc...

The dropouts at around 4pm were when I rebooted the hub for my speed testing but I have no idea about the 12:30 pm one. I'm at work, and everyone at home would be asleep.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you will be better always with your own router and the hung in modem mode.

You will need a router to do this NOT A SWITCH

0 Kudos