Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

'Network issue' Slow unreliable internet during Covid-19

My connection has been unreliable in terms of very high latency and packet loss (see Figure 1 below). The effect is a very high ping in online games and slow responses when loading web pages etc. It has been like this for the past 6 months. When ever I contact Virgin about this they say, oh right we are actually fixing something in the area, but nothing ever gets better.

The problem has intensified during the Covid-19 lockdown but interestingly not during off peak hours, approximately 10pm-9am. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Virgin trying to sort this out, three engineer visits later, a senior engineer told me in confidence that it is a network infrastructure problem. But no one will officially admit this high utilisation issue, that the network infrastructure is not powerful enough to serve all customers who are now using more bandwidth during the national Covid-19 lockdown. It's a bit like airlines overselling seats on a flight as they know statistically not all passengers will show up. Similarly Virgin oversells the number of broadband connections, anticipating that not everyone will use their full bandwidth, which of course has now changed during Covid-19.Airlines then offer compensation when there are not enough seat left, rather than like Virgins status page, "No know issues in your area", while my broadband quality monitor (Figure 1) clearly states otherwise.

What really annoys me about this is that Virgin knows better but for some reason won't tell us openly. So they rather waste customers time by running pointless checks on their home network and giving useless information on work being done in the area, which has never changed anything in 6 months for me.

All three screenshots below have been taken at the same time. Can someone from Virgin please explain the contradiction in information?

Figure 1: clear issues
Figure 2: "no know issues"
Figure 3: "We have detected an issue that maybe affecting your broadband. This issue is caused by interference on our network impacting multiple customers in your area.This will cause intermittent speeds and performance may vary at different times." 

What does this mean? When will this be over? When will you fix this? 

It would be great to have some clarity and timeline on these issues. The lack of transparency on an estimated time for a possible fix, or if there is even a solution makes the entire situation more frustrating as customers can't plan or look for alternatives. 

Thank you.

Figure 1
2020-11-19_200401.jpg

Figure 2
2020-11-19_203226.jpg

Figure 32020-11-19_195758.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'Network issue' Slow unreliable internet during Covid-19

"Good news, we didn't find any network issues".... denial is not a good coping mechanism for a service provider Virgin!

2020-11-22_071256.jpg2020-11-22_090637.jpg

0 Kudos