Menu
sprog1033
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Network deterioration

Hi,

I've had a look at 'Service Status' in myvirginmedia and no issues are shown for broadband, however recently my broadband quality has gone from this a few weeks back:

20201014.png

to this (current):

20201113 live.png

I have also received the current quality chart for a neighbour on the same street (below) which shows a similar picture suggesting that it is an area problem. Please can I have some guidance on what I can do to get this investigated considering this is larger than just my connection.

20201113 5 Wag live.png

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network deterioration

You can either call in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
sprog1033
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It turns out today has been another frustrating one for our broadband connection. What was once a reasonable connection a month ago, now results in numerous dropped MS teams calls and variable web page loading performance. Before 08:00 in the morning it is fantastic, but then quickly degrades.

Out of frustration, I have just done three concurrent ping tests on my laptop, hardwired to the router.  What is usually all within 8 to 15ms (before 08:00 in the morning) is currently this:

Ping statistics for 9.9.9.9:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 361ms, Average = 74ms

Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 383ms, Average = 87ms

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 399ms, Average = 93ms

Below is my current BQM and below that the one for my neighbour (two doors down). It clearly looks like there is an issue in the area. Something that appears to be outside the control of the Virgin Help Line. 

20201123 live.png20201123 5 Wag live.png 

0 Kudos
sprog1033
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Further to the BQMs in my previous posts, I have also noticed that upload modulation degrades especially after 20:00 each evening. They are usually all at 64 qam but drop numerous times through the day now. See below screenshots from Saturday and Sunday night below.

IMG_0079.PNGIMG_0086.PNG

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

You can either call in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
sprog1033
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's been 5 weeks now since my initial query. Whilst I await feedback from Virgin re the variable broadband quality in my area, I would like to ask another question. Generally, our download bandwidth seems ok, but our upload bandwidth jumps up and down throughout the day (along with the increasing latency). I see that we are connected to 24 download channels (Hub3), but only 4 upload channels. My upload channel IDs are always a mixture 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. How many upload channel IDs in total are available? If I requested to be allocated different upload channel IDs, is there a chance that other channels will be affected less by the apparent over-subscription?

Below is my BQM for yesterday, and below that the BQM for my neighbour (2 houses down) too. I believe they continue to show the issue is outside of my local connection to the Virgin network.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern, meaning more traffic than VM's local network can handle. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.  Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works.  There's little or nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to be honest about the outlook.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks