Menu
Laurarara
Up to speed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Negative zero to 0.01 Upload

Worthing, West Sussex

Two weeks ago a nationally reported problem with Virgin - it was in all the newspapers.

Yesterday downloads raised higher than I've ever known them BUT upload zero with 0.01 at best - causing all apps to fail, no emails and dragging internet that 'times out' before anything can load.

I called customer services twice as, with a hearing loss, I rely on Facetime calls for work and play and, most essentially, to call my elderly mother as she relies on seeing me online between my visits (we recently lost my Dad) 😞   It's so terribly upsetting that in these isolating times, we can't use the one thing that brings her and me comfort. 

Customer services tell me there will be no compension and, after being told the problem would take 36 hours to fix, I've just been told the new deadline is 4pm today.  I have topped up my O2 pay as you go to use for Facetime and other essentials and it's costs a lot.  

Are we all going to be fobbed off again?  I am not the only one am I - just read all the comments on the downtime detectors across the country and London especially is a mass of red blobs.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Negative zero to 0.01 Upload

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

We can see if there is anything in the router stats that point to a localised problem.

0 Kudos
Laurarara
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It was a local problem outside my house and not inside, so giving stats such as you've asked for wouldn't really have helped. The problem was rectified when they sorted out the local problem - but it does keep happening.
0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello Laurarara,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been unable to keep in touch with your mum, especially in these difficult times and after losing your father (my deepest condolences).  I understand where you're coming from and the need to keep in touch with loved ones by Facetime so the internet is important to you.

I've had a look at your network details and have scrutined it but cannot find any issues. The last local area fault we had was fixed and I've tried to be picky to find something but I'm unable to. I've checked the channels that "talk" to our network equipment but cannot find anything either and there are no utilisation problems.

It may mean that we'll have to look outside the box. You mentioned that you use Facetime a lot and it could be a WiFi issue inside your home, such as WiFi deadspots. We have WiFi Boosters that can help with this but we don't know if you have any WiFi deadspots unless you scan your home using our Connect App.

I've ordered a replacement Hub and it's an upgrade to your current Hub so you can use our Connect App to scan your home. When the new Hub arrives (it should take about 5 days to arrive), please follow the instructions inside to activate it and download the Connect App to see how your WiFi network is.

I'm quite mindful that I've written quite a bit in this post but please let us know how it goes with the new Hub as if you're still experiencing issues with connection drops, we can help further 🙂

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos