Menu
Borg100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Need a new router! as disconnection continues & upload speeds are atrocious

Hi, peeps! I've done many times all the tests over & over & yet still my upload majority of the time Is 0.2 megabits & Today it actually went to 10m on the 350 package

I spoke to Virgin last week & she said there are Issues in the Andover area & they won't be able to help, send a new router out to after 31st!  I said" I know there are ongoing issues & I don't care about that as the router has been resetting itself time after time & the upload Is terrible as is the down in most cases.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need a new router! as disconnection continues & upload speeds are atrocious

It could be a faulty hub, but my expectation is not.  Far more likely to be a noise or power problem, or an over-utilisation issue (VM selling more contracts local to you than their equipment can support).  if it's over-utilisation then the problem will most likely continue for many months.  In some instances other customers have endured years of it, with multiple promised "fix dates" coming and going without any improvbement. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Borg100
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply..... Been going on here since last year....

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes/often that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead. Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works. There's little or nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to be honest about the outlook.

2) Get yourself a new ISP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Borg100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What an excellent explanation, Sir..... Kudos to you

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Utilisation issues usually stick out like a sore thumb on a BQM - so lets see what yours looks like...

if you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM re. utilisation issues or if its another fault.

Note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos