Menu
njpatel57
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My wifi signal using the virgin media wireless booster and 2.4 GHz is slow

Hi My wifi signal using the virgin media wireless booster and 2.4 GHz is slow. I did a speed test and it shows that the my upload speeds is faster than my download speeds. 

This only seems to be whenever I connect to the wireless booster and the 2.4 GHz wifi setting. Please HELP.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: My wifi signal using the virgin media wireless booster and 2.4 GHz is slow

A Wi-Fi speed test is not an accurate indication of your speed !

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz.

Can you carry out a couple of speed tests at speedtest.net using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

Ensure that the Network Interface Card (NIC) drivers are up to date.

Then post the links to the results on here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
njpatel57
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The drivers for the NIC are up to date aswell.

Weird thing is my desktop is connected directly to the hub 3 and it showing speeds for download above 500MBps and the laptop I am using shows the above but when directly connected to the hub 3 it shows download speeds of above 80MBps but not anywhere near the 500MBps range.

0 Kudos
njpatel57
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

these are the speeds i get when connected directly to the hub 3 router.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If your desktop PC is showing the correct speed you know that VM are supplying the correct speed.

As for the laptop, 80Mbs is indicative of either ...

An ethernet cable that is a lower category than Cat 5E.

A device NIC that is set at 10/100 Mbs, this can either be hardware capability or operating system settings.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
njpatel57
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

ok i'm using a CAT6 and also tried with CAT8, how can we know the settings for the adapter are set to 100/1000mbps?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Check in the Operating System Settings.

0 Kudos
njpatel57
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

ok checked at it is 1gbps. Could it be the wireless booster supplied by VM?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You need to test with a direct connection to the Hub !!

0 Kudos
njpatel57
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes which i have, but the the speeds on the wireless booster provided by VM is way different to what the speed is when the laptop is directly connected to the VM hub 3.

Do you know much about the wireless powerline boosters? I do appreciate the help thanks.

0 Kudos